JamesBrook1840

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm James, I'm 16 years old, and have a 1 year-old ringneck, I have him for about 12 days, and he'll let me feed him, from in and outside his cage, but he will not step up, I also need him to stop biting, he's been biting (not that hard) a day now, any tips?

:welcome: James, so pleased you found us.
Quite a few members keep IRNs (Indian Ring Necks) including a number of new members too.
Have a look under the Behaviour thread some good tips there and I hope those with IRNs will be along with some advice.

But I will add you have not had him long so lots of time and patience is needed.

Are you able to post up a photo of him and what is his name please. :thumbsup:

:welcome: James, so pleased you found us.
Quite a few members keep IRNs (Indian Ring Necks) including a number of new members too.
Have a look under the Behaviour thread some good tips there and I hope those with IRNs will be along with some advice.

But I will add you have not had him long so lots of time and patience is needed.

Are you able to post up a photo of him and what is his name please. :thumbsup:
His name is Rio

Attachments

• received_1348710035313428.jpeg
    received_1348710035313428.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
Hello and welcome, If he is biting as a warning you are pushing him to far, but do not get mixed up with bites and him checking that your hand is secure for him to step up. the fact that he is not giving you a more harder bite means he is not angry, I agree with Oil Fry, let him come to you, its still early days together and you both need to learn each others ways. will he fly to you? Rio looks lovely, I have four Ringnecks living with me.

Welcome James, it has taken me 12months to get a parrot to step up it can take loads of time and patience. Dont push things otherwise the bird will never want to step up, everything must be positive if he bites there are a few ways to react, if I’m giving treats and giving attention and I get a bite I just walk away the funs over. young birds do nip a bit as they are learning what’s ok and what’s not.

Hello and welcome, If he is biting as a warning you are pushing him to far, but do not get mixed up with bites and him checking that your hand is secure for him to step up. the fact that he is not giving you a more harder bite means he is not angry, I agree with Oil Fry, let him come to you, its still early days together and you both need to learn each others ways. will he fly to you? Rio looks lovely, I have four Ringnecks living with me.
Τhank you very much!

Welcome James, it has taken me 12months to get a parrot to step up it can take loads of time and patience. Dont push things otherwise the bird will never want to step up, everything must be positive if he bites there are a few ways to react, if I’m giving treats and giving attention and I get a bite I just walk away the funs over. young birds do nip a bit as they are learning what’s ok and what’s not.
Thank u!!

Hello and welcome from myself and my two birds! Rio looks lovely!
As the members have said this is a trust building game with your new bird, you have not had him very long and he will still be getting used to you. Plenty of positive reinforcement when he does something good, and if he bites try not to tell him off. If either of my birds bite i leave them, walk away and come back when they are doing something good. I don't shout or tell them off, may say 'no' then walk away but you don't want to pair yourself with a bad experience with him.

It does take time, and sometimes can take longer than others. Looking forward to seeing your progress with Rio!😁

So? Do I keep hand feeding him and stop trying to teach him to step-up ?

Hello and welcome from myself and my two birds! Rio looks lovely!
As the members have said this is a trust building game with your new bird, you have not had him very long and he will still be getting used to you. Plenty of positive reinforcement when he does something good, and if he bites try not to tell him off. If either of my birds bite i leave them, walk away and come back when they are doing something good. I don't shout or tell them off, may say 'no' then walk away but you don't want to pair yourself with a bad experience with him.

It does take time, and sometimes can take longer than others. Looking forward to seeing your progress with Rio!😁
Thank you so much, sure thing!

defiantly keep hand feeding him and find his favourite treat then use them to slowly work on him stepping onto your hand to get it, you must be very slow like just putting your hand near him by his feet so he gets the feel that hands are not bad. It might take months. Small training sessions a few times a day.

He will not fly, but if I pull out a treat he'll come quickly, but sometimes he takes it aggressively and when he does that I pull back until he takes it calmly

So? Do I keep hand feeding him and stop trying to teach him to step-up ?

Not to jump on Michaels post but thought id also reply! With my first parrot, my little parrotlet she was not hand tame.
I started feeding my girl through the bars and speaking softly with her, grew this to putting my hand in her cage to feed her that way and eventually put her favourite treats on the palm of my hand and she would stand on the edge of my hand inside her cage to eat her treats.
I built this up over a number of weeks, even months for her to start stepping onto my hand and then would say 'step up', eventually changed to using a finger (she's only small, my grey steps onto my full hand or arm)
Now she steps up as soon as you offer your hand, she loves been on you either head shoulder or hands.
If i pushed too much and she bit i would take it back a step.

It's just a slow progress, this may not work for everyone but this worked for me.

defiantly keep hand feeding him and find his favourite treat then use them to slowly work on him stepping onto your hand to get it, you must be very slow like just putting your hand near him by his feet so he gets the feel that hands are not bad. It might take months. Small training sessions a few times a day.
When should I start again? (With the training sessions)

Welcome to the Forum James, there is a similar recent thread link below, do take a look and read as the request and advice given is not much different. Some good advice given above as well as in the link below.

For the next week should I just keep hand feeding him his fav treats and if he bites just stop and change room, no reaction

Τhank u!

Yes, just concentrate on being friends with him via treats from the hand and looking after him well for the time being. You can also give him fun things like natural willow or fruit twigs to chew and play with - so he sees you as a source of good things rather than as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom