1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by joanne79, Apr 15, 2018.

1. joanne79

joanne79 Regular Member

Evening everyone,

Well, I've had my GCC Floki for 3 months now. The DNA test came back and confirmed he is definitely a he, which I am so chuffed about as I already have 2 DNA sexed females. My problem is, Floki hates the other birds. He will attack them any chance he can get. Luckily Tizzy will stay out of his way but Kady will retaliate. They hate each other. I guess I naively thought they would just all get along. It's not a major issue as the girls get out of cage time together and Floki hangs around with me (he comes to work). No point to this post really except to vent. Does anyone else have birds that just don't see eye to eye?

dianaT likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I do most definitely. We work around it.

Zoe220615 and joanne79 like this.
  3. joanne79

joanne79 Regular Member

Is it normal for a male and female of the same species to dislike each other?

4. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

My lovebirds aint very friendly to the others so they all just avoid them. And dont even go near there cage.

5. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

I agree... my african grey Coco doesnt get along with my Hahns Macaw. To be honest my Hahns attacks every other bird including cilantro and Stan so i presume she initiates it all haha

I keep them all apart to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Does Floki actually see himself as a bird, maybe not as he is very bonded to you?

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I can let my Buster out with any of my flock except another TOO, I was thinking he has bonded with you so there for looks at other birds as threat to your relationship.

8. joanne79

joanne79 Regular Member

Plumsmum and Michael, I think you both may be right. He really is not interested in the other birds and is quite happy to hang around with me. I know new birds should always be quarantined and Floki was kept in a different room for 1 month before he was moved in with the other 2 but now I feel a bit guilty as he obviously became very attached to me in that space of time. I sort of feel that he has forgotten what he actually is (if that makes sense).

9. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

It can just be the birds personality, my Plum bless him was just the same and didn't want to share his Mum or be with other birdies. Enjoy those cuddles :)

joanne79 likes this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Out of my flock only Holly is just for me and dose not want any thing to do with other birds no matter what sex or species including my other greys. but I know that they can change there mind and chose another human or bird as long as he is happy then that's fine.

joanne79 likes this.
  11. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

I get a right telling off from my bird Cicero if I try to interact with my hen Kouki. He's very much bonded to her and it's really annoying as she's the sweetest bird ever. He fluffs up and really tries to do damage. This has been going on about 4 years. But he will chill with me on my shoulder when he wants. So it's not all bad.

Have you tried slow introductions? I.e keep them in separate rooms so they can hear each other then move them slowly together over a period of weeks with no contact, so they 'get used' to each other before they meet. Rather than just letting your two ladies loose on your unsuspecting boy?

TomsMum likes this.