1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potteric Carr Doncaster

Discussion in 'Non Parrot Media' started by DizzyBlue, Apr 15, 2019.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I went to Doncaster yesterday for a meander around after doing my morning chores. Spent the entire day there was great … devoid of humans lol! Mind you was 8 degrees all day and did get caught in hail showers. Had a lovely breakfast there and a steaming cup of coffee that warmed the cockles of my heart and even managed to reach my frozen tootsies! Bought myself … or rather bought the insects in my garden an new hidy place got one of those solitary been hives. Just a dinky thing but fit for purpose and was on sale too.
    Camera so needs replacing but that's something I am obviously going to have to go into a shop and talk about have asked a couple of people to try and point me in the direction of a good camera to look out for but heard nothing back from them. Such is life.
    Anyways thought I would share some piccies please excuse their crappyieness but its as good as its going to get for a while.
    Ones I did see and take that unfortunately turned out naff and not worth sharing and am disappointed was a lovely stag I saw laid down sleeping hidden in a dip in a thicket didn't wish to disturb him but managed to grab a piccie …. or so I thought … got a right good pair of ears in the picture and not much else lol.
    These are the piccies I took and there is one rather odd one … hoping that Jude can figure out what on earth it is will put it up at the end but thinking not enough bird to see to figure out what it is ….
    Watched a cormorant having his breakfast
    head.jpg There was a flock of greylag geese and one was pure white it was with a mate I managed to get a piccie of it in the air when it went from one stretch of water to another.
    DSC01830.JPG
    There were lots of blackcaps everywhere arguing and sorting out territories.
    DSC01800.JPG
    Couple of birds of prey kicking around there were harriers and buzzards did see a kestrel as well and took piccies but all too blurred with wing movement to be worth putting up.
    DSC01806.JPG
    DSC01846.JPG

2. DizzyBlue

And this is the one for Jude ….
    Its an LBJ (little brown job) and was peeping through the bushes at me … but seems to have a spotted / speckled face …
    Tail to the left of the picture and the eye is alongside the farthest right leaf …..
    Doesn't look like anything I know … not a thrush, not a starling.... was a lot smaller than those not a sparrow.... but didn't feel it was as little as a wren …. thinking its a spotty LBJ lol likely a wren though.... but tail looks too flat rather than upright?!
    DSC01805.JPG

3. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Hedge sparrow? Perhaps with slightly unusual markings....

4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Only offering I have I am afraid! Is it a cuckoo?

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

@DizzyBlue .. Dunnock I think ....grey head, brown speckled back, flick their wings quitea lot, have a pair nesting in my garden

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Yes, I think so. Otherwise known as hedge sparrow. They often look a bit duller and darker than this, hence the confusion. Nice birds.

7. DizzyBlue

@Oli Fry @TomsMum
    Dunnock or hedge sparrow and around here known fondly as Cuddies :)
    Had a nosy online to see about the spotty clock around the face and your were bother correct.
    Thankyou x

TomsMum likes this.