1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Rehoming Of African Grey

Discussion in 'Rehoming' started by NickP, Sep 11, 2017.

1. NickP

NickP Registered

My parents have had a female, African Grey called Roger. - they believed she was a he for the first 15 years - for 26 years, and they are now thinking about rehoming 'him'. My dad has mobility issues and my Mum is about to have heart surgery, and they feel that they are no longer able to give the attention he needs. I have offered to make enquiries on this site about the possibility of rehoming him. He talks, whistles and 'dances' to music. He has seemed to become less friendly, but I think this is from the reduced amount of interaction with him. He is healthy and in good condition in terms of his feathers etc. I am not sure what papers my parents have for him.l am also mindful that my parents have asked me to just make an enquiry at the minute, as I want to make sure that this is what they want.
    They are in the Worksop/Rotherham area. If he decides to part with him, My Dad would want to know that he was going to a parrot lover, and that he wouldn't be 'sold on'. They would not require payment other than the possibly a nominal amount, if that was necessary, to ensure that he went to a good home, but if it was clear that he was going to be well looked after, they would probably just let him go. I would have to confirm this with them.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
    Nicky
    @marley @Dell27 @jaspers mum @dianaT

Dell27 likes this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Nicky

I am enclosing a link to gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-imports-and-exports
    Which is a rather lengthy guidance on CITES - under which African Grey Parrota are now protected as Appendix 1 classification.

Breeding birds, their offspring, and any bird coming under the definition of commercial activity (I.e. Being sold) needs to be registered - or if an Appendix 1 bird is gifted, then the gifting paperwork completed.

The Animal and Plant Health Agency, are responsible for implementing this worldwide agreement here in the U.K., and I would suggest you call their helpline 03000 200 301 - and they can confirm what the requirements for Roger would be.

I can understand your father's concerns over Roger's future home. We have many long standing members here who have their own birds, and take care of birds for other people, and permanently rehome. The forum also gives original owners the ability to keep in touch with a birds progress with its new home and flock.

NickP likes this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome Nickp your parents have had Roger a long time and they will miss not having her around. I would like to ask one question regarding your mother and her intended op. if all is successful (I hope so) would she like the opportunity to be able to have Roger back? If so I can offer a home until she has recovered. Roger will remain your parents bird but I will look after her for as long as it takes. as has been mentioned Greys are now CITES I birds and will need paperwork from DEFEA before any monies can be exchanged. even if given a CITES I bird requires a letter of gift from your parents to the new keeper. if they decide they will not be able to care for Roger then I work with Safehaven Parrot Refuge and they find good homes for parrots but I will always let other members of this site priority to offer a permanent home if that is what your parents wish.

pepsirat and NickP like this.
  4. jaspers mum

jaspers mum Regular Member

Is this now a new post as the original one has gone?
    @Dell27 if your dad would rather let him be fostered long term. I'm sure someone can help x

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It may have been updated.

jaspers mum likes this.
  6. jaspers mum

jaspers mum Regular Member

Thanks Diana x

7. NickP

NickP Registered

Hi, yes, it was deleted at my request, and I reposted with more information. Thanks.

dianaT likes this.
  8. pixar-kitten

pixar-kitten Regular Member Registered

Just to say, CITES A10 is required for selling a Grey. However one may be gifted without one. Provided that a covering letter is given stating that no money has changed hands.
    Really hope your parents are OK. I know this must be heartbreaking. As people have suggested, maybe fostering is an option?

NickP likes this.
  9. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member Registered

Errr shame your so far away I could give her a brilliant home.

10. NickP

NickP Registered

Thanks. I think if they can find him a good home they will let him go ☹️
    I am looking after him at the minute, but we are out at work all day, so it's not ideal.

11. NickP

NickP Registered

Thanks, where are you and what's your 'set up' for your pets?

12. Yellowchickenparrot

Newquay cornwall I'm afraid I'm about as far away as you can get. My parrot gets free run of the house and I'm building a massive aviary as we speak

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  13. NickP

NickP Registered

Thanks. If we can't find anybody else - meet you half way?????

DizzyBlue likes this.
  14. Yellowchickenparrot

I really couldn't travel that far I'm afraid, really sorry.

NickP likes this.
  15. marley

marley Regular Member

I may be able to help if you get stuck

Michael Reynolds, NickP and dianaT like this.
  16. Dell27

Dell27 Regular Member

It sounds like you are getting lots of offers of help but If all else fails I could help x

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

NickP and dianaT like this.
  17. NickP

NickP Registered

I understand, thanks.

18. Clinton

Clinton Regular Member

Have the rehoming of the birdie been sorted yet ?

19. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator