Porridge

Bob

Bird Whisperer
Staff member
Admin
Milk & Porridge

Birds are largely lactose intolerant which means they cannot digest things like milk they can tolerate a very small quantity but foods high in milk are poor food choices, don’t offer your bird soft cheese or milk in a direct manner try for the healthier choices.

If your parrot likes porridge then there is a way around making it with milk and a lot really like it. Keep the milk for your porridge make your parrots with apple juice (unsweetened there’s enough natural sugar in apple juice for that!). Don’t forget no salt, forget the sugar and no milk! Add a spot of interest to it throw in some chopped bits of fruit just before serving. Remember sometimes parrots look at something new and refuse it sometimes helps if your bird watches you eat too

Bugger.... OOOOPS, I forgot, this is a family forum... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I will say 'Drat' instead.

I have been back from Tesco an hour and knew I would forget something... Fekin porridge. I wanted it for myself and for Jasper. Ah well, not shopping again till next Thursday now.

While I am here I did remember a Pommegranite. How do I give it to him. Seeds only, seed and flesh, warm or cold or chilled?

I haven't tried porridge, I may give them some tomorrow. Zippy won't be a problem as he eats anything especially when warm. :) If he is out and sees me eating, he just helps himself :laugh:

Bugger.... OOOOPS, I forgot, this is a family forum... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I will say 'Drat' instead.

I have been back from Tesco an hour and knew I would forget something... Fekin porridge. I wanted it for myself and for Jasper. Ah well, not shopping again till next Thursday now.

While I am here I did remember a Pommegranite. How do I give it to him. Seeds only, seed and flesh, warm or cold or chilled?
I normally give them a quarter and let them get on with it. Expect a mess :laugh:

Mine absolute love porridge and I spoon feed it to them about 3 times a week.

I boil the kettle and leave it to cool for a couple of minutes and make it like that so its warm. Then I mash a banana and add that and sometimes a drizzle of honey :)

Mine love porridge, i sometimes make it with warmed orange juice for a change :good:

I give my lot porridge too, I make it with water and add a bit of fruit, my Hobbits love it :)

Julie

i've never thought of using fruit juices for porridge. i have been using the lactose free milk,but it can work out expensive. i cook it in the microwave,then add a sprinkle of cinnamon,a few seeds and sometimes dried fruit. jasper picks the seeds off the top and eats a little porridge when it's cool. it keeps her occupied while i make tonys breakfast or sort the washing or something   :biggrin:

I've tried Blue on porridge but he's not keen, anything I put in like fruit, berrys or nuts, he just picks out and leaves the rest.

I havent tried Keelan on porridge yet, I'll look for some when I'm shopping next that you make with water, see if she likes it, I'll eat some with her out of the cage and see if she'll wanna try it with me.

Shelley all you need is porridge oats Hun some water and put on the hob on low heat!! X

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have all had porridge made with hot water, and Kato likes to have weetabix too

Mine get porridge cooked with water and I add ginger, cayenne pepper, milled flax seed and grated courgette or carrot in. They like :)

Rita also likes ginger raw she just munches it which is brill because its a great anti bacterial and very good for there digestion

I make mine Porridge but make it with Nettle and Peppermint Tea, I make the tea first with boiling water and then add it to the porridge, serve cold, as warm food can induce hormonal behaviour.

I'm thinking about trying zazu on porridge, trying to sort some proper routine for him by giving fresh vegs in morning/throughout the day and pellets at night and porridge just came to me as its oats, so think might give it a try

Back
Top Bottom