poo clean up

worrierqueenie

Registered
ekswhat's the best way to clean off clothing & furniture after it's been 'blessed' by the bired? Is Poopoff as good as it claims to be? I'm using kitchen roll & baby wipes & wearing old clothes but if there's any other methods you'd recommend I'd love to hear them. Or should I save up & buy shares in a kitchen roll manufacturer?:)
How sucessful is toilet training? The articles I've read & seen say it takes about 2 weeks - is that a fair estimation?

Lauraj

ekswhat's the best way to clean off clothing & furniture after it's been 'blessed' by the bired? Is Poopoff as good as it claims to be? I'm using kitchen roll & baby wipes & wearing old clothes but if there's any other methods you'd recommend I'd love to hear them. Or should I save up & buy shares in a kitchen roll manufacturer?:)
How sucessful is toilet training? The articles I've read & seen say it takes about 2 weeks - is that a fair estimation?
Hello!
I don’t use poop off, if the birds poo on the floor or on us (which im sure when my grey is in a mood he does on purpose ha) i just use warm water, soapy warm water and use a ‘bird blanket’. I have a selection of hand towels which are used for cleaning the cages and cleaning up any spills of foods/poop etc. I wash these separate to our clothes with the covers we put over the sofa when the birds are out 🙂

I am lucky the birds aren’t too messy and we have daily poops on the floor but it’s to be expected and why we have bought wood floor for our new house!

In relation to toilet training ive not heard good things and ive never tried it with my birds, i don’t want the birds to have to hold their toilet when we are anywhere else in the house or if we go in the carry case etc, holding until they get to their trained space can cause health issues i have been told- I don’t know too much around this and didn’t want to take the risk so just got a good selection of towels and prepared to clean up 😂

Sauropod8

Hiya!
We use Poop-Off and I would 100% recommend. We have laminate floors and a leather sofa and it works so well. Also good for when there are 'accidents' on your clothes.
For the carpet, I let it dry - call me disgusting but it's easier to clean that way - and use Vanish carpet foam cleaner and a microfibre cloth. Only used when Pico is not in the room, as he flies to the floor and attacks when I try to clean, and can't risk him eating the foam.

Pico is... semi-toilet trained. We know by now that when he wakes up in the morning he needs a big poop, so we take him to the sink and he knows he can poop there. Around the house, its kind of a case of getting to know your bird's poop schedule. Pico's a conure and they poop about every 15-20 minutes. He also wiggles his tail when he's about to go, so we watch for that and carry him to a specific table-top perch to poop. He's pretty good, but there are always times when he just goes off the table etc.

Good luck!

RoyJess

I use poop off for our carpet and upholstery. It's very good, I wouldn't do with out it. As for clothes, I just stick them in the washing machine.

Our birds are not toilet trained. I use poop trays covered with paper under our stands/hanging branches. I used an off cut of lino to go over our carpet where our bird cages sits as it is easier to wipe that than to clean the carpet. Or alternatively, place some paper on the floor where your bird mostly poop, this will be easier to pick up and throw away in the bin. I use white food chip paper.

Beware that Baby Wipes are not safe to use around parrots!

Last edited:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

We are lucky to have tiled floors throughout the house and use FSC 10 spray and kitchen roll on hard surfaces for immediate wiping. Dora isn't allowed to sit on the sofa and is happiest on a shoulder or knee. Clothes are usually already pre parroted t-shirts,(old and holey) so the rare accidents are sponged off or the T-shirt goes in the wash. Jeans too, although clean jeans tend to be "blessed" within a day!
As for toilet training, we encourage and praise when she goes to a cage or perch to poo, but in fact we're the ones trained to recognise when she starts to fidget and to we take her to a cage or perch.

Top Bottom