1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polish

Discussion in 'Home and Environmental Hazards' started by Rockerman 65, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Rockerman 65

Rockerman 65 Regular Member

Hi all this is my first post. I a few weeks I'm buying a Indian ringneck. I have been doing lots research. I'm trying to find a furniture polish that's safe to use i found a store that's sells eco friendly polish the Ingredients are
    Purified Water, olive oil, orange oil, and carnauba wax.would this be ok. Thank in advance

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome, I am unsure but I expect others will know @TomsMum - any idea.

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Rockerman 65 and :welcome: to the forum, and good on you for doing your research on things before you get your bird.

Yes we try to avoid scented anything when we have birds. I purchased a product made by Howard called Natural Wood Cleaner and Polish Fragrance free..... however it is not what I call fragrance free......it may not have added fragrance as an ingredient, but it certainly does have a smell. Ingredients are coconut oil, Palm kernel oil, soybean oil, vegetable-derived emulsifier and purified water.
    I tend to damp dust in the room where the birds are with kitchen paper damped with F10, if small furniture items really need a polish I move them into another room, or if it is the big bookcase, move the birds out and air the room until residual smell has gone. But I am a little OTT as one of my birds has a sinus problem.

Maybe @Roz may be able to comment on the ingredient list of the product you have found?

4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I have found this "A birds respiratory system is a delicate and intricate machine. Any product that comes in an aerosol spray bottle is automatically out of the question for use in a home that is shared with a bird. The contents of an aerosol bottle are under extreme pressure. When released, they come out with force in a fine mist that looms in the air. The mist can flow freely from room to room with natural air currents or with the help of your home’s air system." from Birdtricks.

TBH most furniture does not need a regular polish and it can have a negative effect on wood. A slightly damp cloth would be best, catching the dust rather than raising it into the air to settle somewhere else.

5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

All good advice already given. In my opinion looking at those ingredients, the water, olive oil and carnauba wax are ok. Carnauba wax is apparently sprayed on foods so is edible for humans. Orange oil should be ok if it is truly natural, but who knows (there are no proper regulations). Like TomsMum suggested, I would keep the bird out of the room until the scent has gone and agree that it would be the scent that is most dangerous here because of parrots' delicate respiratory systems. And plumsmum has good info on the danger of aerosols so if you could get one that is pump based (more like a handcream) that would be better.

TomsMum likes this.
  6. Rockerman 65

Thank you all for replying I appreciate any advice I'm giving.

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and Welcome good advice given and a fantastic bird you are getting

8. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Hi and welcome, I use a damp cloth which I found is better than dry dusting as it collects the dust and not just push it around.

9. Rockerman 65

Thank you everyone for your advice. Not sure if this is right but I was told you can polish wipe ie Mr Sheen Polish wipes as you dont need to spray the polish. could please give me your views on this please

10. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That may be okay. If I need to use spray polish I lightly spray it into the cloth so it is not air bound then rub it on the furniture.

plumsmum likes this.
  11. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Just ensure that any perfume in the wipes is not an irritant to the bird(s)? :)