1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plucking

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Pamela, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Pamela

Pamela Registered

my senagal has plucked around his legs and vent he’s 17 years old and never plucked before any information would be gladly received

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Sorry to hear this. Has anything changed at home, in his cage, people etc etc.
    One of my Sennies started plucking when his brother died 18 months ago & still has not fully recovered his feathers.
    Perhaps a trip to the avian vet may be a good idea, I guess he may have picked up mites, or be lacking in something vitamin wise.

Pamela and DizzyBlue like this.
  3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

hi Pamela and welcome to the forum
    Has your bird had an avian check up recently may have to rule out other things.
    One of my greys did the same some time ago and it was related to being stressed out at having a stranger in the house who was wearing a nasty scary bright yellow jacket! The same thing occurred 18 months later when a particular toy that was totally new and foreign to her dared to enter her cage :rolleyes: how very dare I put a new alien in there! Anyways issue was sorted out after I figured out what it was and removed it and then left it on the table for 10 days for her to get used to and then it was acceptable and destroyed within 30 minutes of being in her cage …. she can be such a fussy britches some days. The other thing I did was ensure that the humidity in the house was sitting at a level that they liked
    It may be a case of working out all the variables to figure out what the issue is may different things cause many different birds to do something totally unusual and strange for them.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe, Pamela and dianaT like this.
  4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Excellent Diana on line :) she's brill with Sennies

Pamela likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome, you have had some good advice, Senegal;s can be quite sensitive to changes plucking the feathers on the legs, one of my senegal's started doing that, he then bit his ring that had to be removed, he left the feathers alone after, I do worry if a bird plucks around the vent as I may be a sign of irritation or infection, it may pay to have your avian vet check him.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe, Pamela and dianaT like this.
  6. Pamela

Pamela Registered

Thank you so much for your feedback about my little fella (Melville)
    You was saying if there has bin any changes.
    My niece came to stay the other night and she has a 3 year old son.
    Melville knows my niece very well and is very content around her me and Melville would go stay at my parent's for the night but because my niece was staying over she had him for the night when I got back in the morning I got Melville out to find he had plucked his little legs and vent I was so upset with myself not taking him with me as I know he loves the drive in the car he sings all the way up there.
    He was so off with me so I took him up my partner's and he has bin so happy and not plucked one feather.
    Thank you so much

7. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aww dear little chap, I bet that's was the cause. Hoping he continues not to pluck now.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  8. Pamela

Pamela Registered

Thank you so much and will let you know how my little fella is doing xxxx

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and dianaT like this.
  9. Pamela

Pamela Registered

So sorry to hear about your little fella to xx

10. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Good to hear that Melville seems to be settling back to normal - sounds like he is a bit child averse!

dianaT and Pamela like this.
  11. Pamela

Pamela Registered

Omg wendy I didn't think of that.
    Thank you so much for your comment.
    I'm really glad I signed up to the parrot club forum.
    Xx

dianaT and Michael Reynolds like this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Well there are a few of us with sennies we all help each other, next week I will have four Dracula's with wings staying with me, as my Terry is here for a week,

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe, dianaT and Pamela like this.
  13. Pamela

Pamela Registered

Michael it's so nice to feel me and Melville are not on our own.
    I didn't know what to do feel or say when I seen his little legs and the when I seen his belly OMG.
    And have fun this week Dracula's with wings x

14. Michael Reynolds

its so worrying when they start to pluck, it can make you fill that you are doing something wrong, we all love our birds and want them to be happy

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and Pamela like this.