1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plucking The Other Bird? !

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Louise Waterhouse, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Louise Waterhouse

Louise Waterhouse Regular Member

Hi all, our make cockatiel preens our female's head, and as you can see she is getting more and more bald! She puts her head down to him and she likes it, it's not aggressive.

I asked the vet and he suggested separating them or making them think it's winter.

Anyone else had this? Anyone used the anti plucking stuff, on a bird so the OTHER bird doesn't pluck her? !

Attached Files:

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

It is quite common for the male to be over plucking a female and I have had this with a few pairs in the past, I have anti plucking spray with mixed results, it can help with some birds so worth giving it a try. the back of a females neck is the most common place that an over vagarious male will damage and the taste of the spray is not liked by many birds so it helps in many cases, only spray from the back of the bird and never near there face,

Louise Waterhouse likes this.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I’m not sure how you can “make them think it’s winter” ??

Yes this does happen. Keep an eye on the female, and if the plucking is getting excessive, or he’s hurting her or drawing blood, then I would suggest separating for a bit to give her time to recover.

4. Louise Waterhouse

Louise Waterhouse Regular Member

With the winter thing, it was things like keep the daylight shorter (cover them earlier)so they think it's winter, therefore won't want to breed (as this plucking may be something to do with wanting to breed?)