1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pine Cones

Discussion in 'Parrot Entertainment' started by scott 23, Jun 2, 2015.

1. scott 23

scott 23 Regular Member

[​IMG]

I have posted this photo for health and safety purposes. I was out in the woods yesterday and i found some large pinecones. So today I thought I will boil them then roast them in the oven to kill off any harmful bug ect before I let Perry have some fun with them. So look close at my fingers and you will see molting pine sap now stuck on my finger tips. Not one of my brightest ideas

Kendra likes this.
  2. kayla66

kayla66 Magpie Stalker Regular Member

Ouch!

I think Lisa posted something on preparing pine cones on here last year. Perhaps someone could repost it. I think she baked them???

Shirley likes this.
  3. scott 23

scott 23 Regular Member

Well in my wisdom I boiled them then baked them then I brought them out the oven and just like fresh scones I had to to pick one up wich had molting hot sap coming out

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

When I've collected them for my lot I just wash them well in a colander and leave them to stand, but I guess it depends on the time of year whether there's the sap oozing out :dntknw:

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

6. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

@TomsMum, @DizzyBlue have just been given some giant pine cones and need to ensure they are clean BUT the links above don't work for me? Any ideas? :)

7. dianaT

Many say to bake in the oven first.

plumsmum likes this.
  8. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi @dianaT yes hun but don't you have to soak in something as well?

9. dianaT

Wash well under the tap or put in a colander and let sit in water for 20mins or so, that's what I do. Dab them dry and let them become fairly dry before the oven bake.

plumsmum likes this.
  10. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

plumsmum likes this.
  11. DizzyBlue

plumsmum likes this.
  12. DizzyBlue

If the links are too old on the autumn forage thread all you have to do is hit the search on this forum post the name of the thread and search posted by DizzyBlue and they should come up in a list ….

plumsmum likes this.
  13. DizzyBlue

Just updated all the links on the Autumn Forage thread so they should all work now :)

plumsmum likes this.
  14. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

when I tried Sophie on a lovely pinecone she acted like I'd put a rat in her cage. total hysteria. she favours her toys to be pink or shiny, natural tasteful materials are greeted with utter horror....

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.
  15. dianaT

Aww poor Sophie, I often wonder what goes through their minds.

16. DizzyBlue

Sorry for liking that post @sunnyring but thought to myself yup I know exactly what description your giving there!
    The eyeballs out on stalks that boggle-eyed look that say's "Mum your off your flipping head and I thought you loved me!!!" look :camper:

sunnyring likes this.
  17. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

plus parrot glued to ceiling of cage with very loud growling..... sophie growling is a terrible noise. I not only had to remove it from cage - I had to show her it leaving the room before she would stop... and it took a walnut before she settled..

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.
  18. DizzyBlue

Oooo bribery and corruption! Eee by gum she has you well trained bless her ;)

sunnyring and TomsMum like this.