1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perches

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Raphaecat, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

hi all, can anyone recommend a standing perch. At present we have a small parrot gym or we alternatively let Jasper perch on top of his cage

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

do you have an apple tree or know some one who can cut a few branches off for you

4. DizzyBlue

Mine is a large one made from a willow branch that grew in an L shape my birds being ammies and greys had to be something larger than Heathers
    I bought a terracotta square pot from the garden centre
    Lined it with a really tough plastic bag cut to shape
    Filled it will fancy stones (usually used in driveways etc)
    Plonked the L shaped branch into it as I was filling it so that the branch was anchored.
    Went to Hobbycraft and bought 4 bags of plaster of paris made it up and poured it into the base to kind of cement everything but make it still light enough for me to shift around but not too light that the birds would knock it over when hitting it at full pent flying lol
    Then topped it with a little mosaic of pebbles to make it look pretty.
    When the branch is too battered from busy beaks … just lift it out of the pot as I used the large thick bag and can use the pot again.
    I chose a large square pot that would probably sit outside your door with a fancy conifer in it if that explains what I bought better?
    Total spend for me was
    £5.99 for the pot
    £6.99 for 2.5KG (I still have a couple of bags in the cupboard as I over estimated how much to use DOH!)
    £5 for the stones and about £3 for the fancy stones to put on top

My large java tree cost a heck of a lot more and that was second hand but to tell the truth … my lot prefer the willow branch :watchout:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and Nigalius like this.
  5. DizzyBlue

IF you fancy something that extends from the cage you could either make your own by cutting a suitable small light branch drill a hole in the end and tap a piece of threaded bar into it (can get that from B&Q) Saw off the threaded bar leaving about two inches sticking out of the end. I got two large washers and a wing nut at the same time to be able to bolt it on
    Parrots don't care if it doesn't look totally awesome shop bought its all about entertainment for them :)

dianaT likes this.
  6. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

Thanks for the ideas. I like the thought of making one. I’m guessing a lot of you don’t buy toys either!?

7. DizzyBlue

To tell the truth I think those of us with a spot of time do make things
    Sometimes I look at the toys for sale and think how flipping much can make one that they can kill and destroy cheaper myself plus knowing what you bird likes personally you can design something to suit
    if you live down south then have to say go to the Think Parrots Show when that's on for the day there are stalls there where people have made toys themselves and that will give you some excellent ideas and they also sell them really cheap too.
    Some of the forage ideas people have had on here are flipping awesome and as people share the ideas then the rest of us have gotten into making them and also tweak them for our own birds specifically