1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peppers And Sweet Potatos

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Heather2131, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

I was going to roast some peppers and sweet potatos (chopped up) for myself. But I want to do some for the birds too without salt and pepper and do I add oil to theirs? Or does anyone know a better way to cook it for the birdies?

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They should just roast as they are I would think, just keep an eye on them & turn so they do not burn. I guess you could add a little water though, and/or wrap in foil/baking paper.

3. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Rubbing with coconut oil would be OK I feel. I use a little to scramble an egg for this lot now.

Just be careful to not burn the food though as not sure if burnt will be any good for them.

4. Heather2131

So can I stick them in without any oil on? Dont have coconut oil, must buy some new!
    I have pure sunflower oil.... :oops::emoji_grimacing:

5. dianaT

I would add a few drops of water thought - not drown them! Trial & error really. Although you can grill or steam them, steaming probably easiest & you know they will cook okay.

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I steam sweet potato and feed pepper raw

Rain, plumsmum and dianaT like this.
  7. Heather2131

They get raw pepper nearly everyday, I just thought maybe a bit cooked and softer to be a bit different tonight, also I read something about peppers being more nutritious when cooked(?)
    I dont know how to steam veggies, shall look it up.... (I never cook and im just now learning how :risas3:)

8. dianaT

If you have not got a steamer use a metal (stainless steel type) colander over a saucepan of water put the pepper in the colander then place a lid on top bring water to the boil & steam approx 10 mins, just check when it's done.

TomsMum, Heather2131 and plumsmum like this.
  9. Roz

Roz Regular Member

The beta carotene in sweet potato or carrots can be a little more readily absorbed by the body cooked. I would say peppers are better nutritionally raw since you destroy all the Vit C by heating, but I guess the beta carotene in peppers won't be destroyed. Agree with you, Heather, in presenting things differently. Ollie loves cooked red pepper, but won't touch it raw.