1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parrot Safe House Plants?

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Heather2131, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

So to save me from looking through lists of safe plants and names I don't recognise, I wondered what parrot safe house plants you guys have?

I'd like some plants in my bedroom that are parrot safe and not easily destroyed in one parrot bite!
    Obviously I won't allow them to destroy the plant but sometimes they can get a bite in before I'm able to stop them and if it's a one stem flower... Well that's it gone haha which is what happened to many of my mother's orchids...
    Orchids are parrot safe arent they? Might get one and pop it somewhere the birds don't venture.

On another note if anyone has a list of non toxic house plants/flowers that would be appreciated too!

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I think there is a list on this site the only one I normally keep is the Aloe Vera plant but that got slightly eaten not long ago so I must get another.

3. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Yes I have an aloe Vera plant too

4. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I found a link to a list on a previous thread however it wouldnt open and said it may have been deleted

5. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

6. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Also it say's orchid is ok

7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Thank you... I think I'll go for a spider plant... The name is off putting but I'm sure the plant isn't haha

8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

9. Michael Reynolds

:emoji_spider:I am certain me and jess can send you some spiders to go with it Heather if you want :emoji_spider::emoji_spider::emoji_spider:

10. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Got plenty here already thanks Michael :emoji_scream:

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  11. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Is there any safe indoor ivy?

12. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Ah I've just read ivy is toxic :(

13. Michael Reynolds

:emoji_elephant::emoji_rhino: I do not know if these lovely animals will be safe in your home but its the best way of seeing Ivory what do others think

14. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Ah now I've read a few species of ivy that is safe...

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  15. Michael Reynolds

I know my mother (Ivy) would of been safe around your birds she loved mine

16. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

17. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

18. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Eee I wish they'd stop giving false names to things haha

I like devils ivy but on other sites it says toxic so I won't be getting it
    That site I linked really shouldn't be saying its safe

19. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

We have recently purchased the following house plants, all of which are supposed to be bird safe. But they also have additional benefits of reducing the moisture, mould and toxins in your home.

I put decorative gravel on top of the soil to prevent mould. When watering them, I let the pot drain of excess water water (I discard the excess water) and then I place the pot on to a tray filled with gravel to prevent the bottom sitting in water which can rot the roots.

Even though these are bird safe, I still ensure that our birds don't eat them.

1. Boston Fern
    2. Spider Plant
    3. Areca Palm, helps to remove deadly toxins, good to put next to that furniture that has just been varnished.

More info here, but please note that not all the plants on the website are bird safe

https://www.naturallivingideas.com/plants-reduce-humidity/

We do have English Ivy in our bathroom which helps with the humidity, but we are aware that this it toxic to parrots, but the birds are not allowed to roam into the bathroom.

This site gives a list of toxic and safe plants as well as a whole list of toxic substances

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

Heather2131 likes this.
  20. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Areca palm is beautiful and something like what ive been looking for, thanks @RoyJess

I do struggle to keep house plants alive so I might have brush up on those skills first :emoji_grimacing: