Parrot room

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
So wifey has come round to the idea of letting me convert the small bedroom into a parrot room, this will involve a mopable floor a mesh window guard and some hanging things from the ceiling and obviously cage. It's for Luna mainly as she is really active and would possibly benefit from being out to trash stuff and not just out being with me which could be her plucking issue? She didn't pluck as much when I was away on holiday so we are thinking maybe the kids stress her out even though she doesn't know any different. Shes very interactive and watches everything that's going on so I also worry she will miss seeing everyone walking about even if she is just in her cage? Or will she like the quiet and freedom to chew fly and do what she wants??? Views and opinions guys and tips advice on parrot rooms etc.thanks

plumsmum

I tend to agree with Di too. Luna is very much part of the family and I am sure will feel isolated in a room on her own. I would put the funds into a outdoor flight/aviary tbh. Something for the better weather. I see a bird room work with people with several birds that can be trusted.

I would look closely at the postion of her cage though and see if this can give her a bit more peace but where she can watch things, because I bet she is hun.

plumsmum

:thumbsup: Have tended to find that it is routine and structure to their lives that helps. Maybe the kids stress her a little but I am sure she does enjoy watching them though. Have you observed what things have an effect on Luna? Is it boisterous play, being too close to her cage, shrieking etc? I ask hubby to sit and watch the girls as they tend to ignore his presence and he is able to give more accurate feedback to me. Could you wife just sit and watch for you as Luna will focus on you I expect? :)

Kendra

We are at the moment building a bird room, or should I say my husband is. I do worry over Mr Dusky Grey, he is definitely a people person and would rather be around me than with the others, but he was an only bird until he was 18. He does not like me really and should be a man's bird but I think after 3 years he has decided I am better than nothing, just. My only solution at the moment is for him to spend a few hours with me every day, problem with that is with 8 parrots, ? He is very destructive also, he has had a go at the new washer, needed a new seal and then started work on the door seal, he likes to keep busy.

Michael Reynolds

I will agree, there is no way a plucker should be isolated or in a room on its own, you cold move her to the back of the room and tell your children they have to play the other side of the room so there is a distance between them and Luna can still see and hear them, give her more attention during the quieter times, if your children move fast or wave there arms in play as Luna is not so close she may be able to accept your children more, do not leave your children out of Luna's life get them to try to pass a treat of two so it will help her not get stressed so much. Holly is separated fro most of the flock by a curtain but she has Buster opposite her and she has visitors from her friends in the flock, the only time she leaves her cage (although she is never looked in is to come to me) and has her cage by the front door and she can see me if I am in the Kitchen.

Top Bottom