Parrot Friendly Smoothie

hollandgirl4

Registered
Is there any such thing?
George loves (certain) fruit, which I know he shouldn’t have unlimited amounts of, but is a lot less keen to try vegetables and I know they’re obviously very good for them to have alongside seed/ pellet.
He loves red peppers and radish and tolerates some carrot and had a few mouthfuls of celery today. I really want him eating dandelion greens and kale, well any sort of greens actually!
I would make myself a smoothie using Greek style yogurt or juice and add fruit/ veg (I mean I wouldn’t eat a veg smoothie truthfully, but I know people that do).
I’m aware that birds can’t have yogurt due to the lactose in it and I know juice has lots of sugar/ preservatives in, so my question to you all is:
Is there a homemade smoothie recipe that any of you use, it’s just a way of trying to get him to try veggies as currently he just throws them on the floor into the area where he poos!

TomsMum

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The book A Parrot’s Fine Cuisine Cookbook &Nutritional Guide by Karmen Budai and Shean Po has a few smoothie recipes in both fruit and veg based. Just blend and add a little water if necessary.
Have a look through their Facebook page too as Karmen May have posted a smoothie recipe on there too.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I share my smoothies if I buy one I just make sure I read the contents and stay away from additives and preservatives (defo no salt or added artificial sweeteners)
Or since you know what your bird likes ….. have a go yourself :)

hollandgirl4

Registered
I share my smoothies if I buy one I just make sure I read the contents and stay away from additives and preservatives (defo no salt or added artificial sweeteners)
Or since you know what your bird likes ….. have a go yourself :)
I’d like to make one myself, I was just unsure whether I could put a little bit of juice in it and if so, which juice. As I was thinking if I make it with water it may just turn into a very runny mess!
I’ll look at the ingredients next time I go shopping, it’s some of the preservatives they use that worries me, although I expect if it’s safe for us, then a small amount will be fine for birds.

Top Bottom