1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palm Flowers, Safe Or Not?

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Kerin, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

I recently read online that palm flowers of all species are safe for our parrots to eat, and I know that palm nuts are fine (although they are of one variety only) But I'd like to know if that's correct?
    I'm wondering if it's ok to offer mine some of the flowers from my trees? I have Trachycarpus Fortunei flowering at the moment, and access to Cordyline Australis flowers if they are safe (not entirely sure if the cordyline is actually a palm, I think it may not be)

I know that "sago palm" isn't a palm but a cycad and is poisonous, but that doesn't flower anyway and I keep mine well away from the birds :)

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

2. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

I want to know too please! have trachys in flower here. cordylines are too but I am not up to getting that high. have never seen wild birds go for the flowers so maybe they don't taste nice?

3. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

My palms never flower (sob) are these in the house or garden? any photos please?

4. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

Mine are in the garden but it is quite mild here. Having said that Trachycarpus are pretty hardy and should grow in your neck of the woods Kendra hun :)
    I've seen wild birds go nuts flocking and munching on a local cordyline, but I'm not sure if it was the flowers, or the seeds later in the season that they were eating. It was a bit too high up for me to see which it was and I forget what time of year it was though I suspect it was the seeds not the flowers. :)

Kendra likes this.
  5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Checked out quite a few of the on-line lists, and cannot find a definitive answer on either.
    I guess as Trachycarpus is native in a non-parrot environment, we cannot tell from whether wild species eat the flowers. Struggling to find cordyline on any lists - as you say it looks like a palm....but isn't (botanically)

6. Rio'sRich

Rio'sRich Registered

I have a male and a female Trachycarpus Fortunei growing in my garden and the female produces an abundance of palm nuts every year does anyone know if they are safe to give to my Blue & Gold Macaw.
    Having read the previous posts on this thread cordyline are native to New Zealand, our native birds don't eat the flowers but the starlings rave over the berries they produce in my garden this time of year, they ripen white and are very small.

7. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Trachycarpus Fortunei is also known as the Chinese windmill palm. Origins are India. China and Japan.
    According to the VCA it's listed under safe. https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/plants-safe-for-birds with no caveats listed as to not giving a particular part of the plant … by that I mean like tomatoes the fruit is safe but the stem and leaf is toxic.

Personally never fed it and don't know anybody who has.... for me unless I am 100% positive I give it a miss there are heaps of other things that we know are safe and what their nutritional value is so I tend to stick to those. Rowan are particularly great at this time of year the rosehips are getting there and the hawthorns are heavy with berries.
    When I double check those I don't know I go to the vet sites to seek information specific to birds, reasoning is something can be toxic to one animal but not to another..... BUT would not recommend what I personally haven't tried I would never be able to live with myself if I said safe and it hurt somebody's bird!

There are 24 different plants listed under the cordyline family so without knowing exactly which one it is specifically and being positive it is that particular plant that is being referred to life becomes a tad difficult in finding the information required can't locate any listed on any of the vet sites listing them as safe or unsafe for birds.

@Rio'sRich @TomsMum @plumsmum

8. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@Rio's Rich - Macaws in the wild tend to eat a large quantity of palm fruits and nuts; they are in fact something like the staple diet for many species, and some (eg Lear's Macaw) are quite specialized palm nut feeders and eat little else. Most macaw keepers have no idea of this, and frequently seem to assume that the wild ones satisfy their oil requirements by eating Brazil nuts, which most wild macaws have probably never even seen! On the other hand, the Central and South American palms are in different botanical families to the Old World palms, and their fruits and nuts can't be assumed to be equally good for your macaw as they will have different nutritional properties.

I doubt you will get any absolutely conclusive answers to a question like this, but in general I don't see any reason to assume fruits from Old World palms are actually dangerous when fed using common sense and in moderation, as long as they are generally considered safe and non-toxic, are eaten by other birds without problems, are free of contaminants, etc. It really depends how conservative you want to be with feeding your bird. If you find any trees of the Butia genus there, though, (some species should be able to grow and fruit in the warmer parts of NZ, if anyone has bothered to plant them), I would definitely snap up any ripe fruits you see, as these are precisely what the wild macaws enjoy.

Rio'sRich, TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  9. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Love reading your posts Ararajuba always packed with information :thumbsup:
    Rio'sRich is UK based, think heading out to NZ to grab palm fruits maybe a bit extreme even for the best trained parrot slave though :biggrin: But I would like to volunteer also need to put myself forward to volunteer to pop over to yours :applaudit:
    My lot are still trying to get to grips with the cobnuts over here so far one out of 5 of the indoor birds has decided they are great :watchout: even providing good stuff that we know they can eat safely doesn't mean they want to :nut:

Rio'sRich and plumsmum like this.