1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pages Of The Sea Tribute

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TomsMum, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Film Director Danny Boyle has helped to create this tribute to the fallen of the 14-18 war on Armistace Day this Sunday 11/11/18
    There are various beach locations across the UK, details of locations and timings on this website

https://www.pagesofthesea.org.uk/

DizzyBlue, dianaT and Rain like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What a good idea.

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sounds really good from reading it

I always ponder about those that did come home but don't seem to be listed anywhere to be honoured.
    I remember a gentleman who played a massive role in my early years know he had 5 medals and was with horses that towed the big guns. I know he enlisted under age WW1 but would never tell me what his medals were for they were hidden away. His belt he always wore was actually a leather girth strap and a pair of spurs hung above the fire place. Spit and cherry black polished boots at all times. He used to braid my hair when I was 5 or 6 into the most amazing plaits with ribbons entwined. He once told me what happened to the two horses he handled in war he couldn't bare to shoot them when they were leaving so he hid them in a barn and begged a farmer to take care of them told me they served too and had kept him warm on many a night hence he disobeyed orders. I like to think that is a true story he never waivered from it and see no reason he would tell me just that one little particle of information. I think I will try to find out what those medals were for surely there must be somewhere a list of people that were awarded medals and why.

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  4. DizzyBlue

Err just found something in the National Archives medal records section seems one of the medals he was awarded was the Military Medal for bravery in the field …..

TomsMum likes this.
  5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Amazing man

6. DizzyBlue

He was truly amazing not only my Primary School Caretaker when I was little :) and he and his wife babysat me they lived 5 doors down the street and his wife Ada could make a Bakewell tart like nobody else baking day was a great day to visit, :biggrin: he was the person to blame for me having a thing about horses and parrots. He always had a budgie called Billy :applaudit: only once ever do I remember him having one called Joey and that was because he couldn't call two birds Billy at the same time :lol:
    Taught me about plants like shepherds purse, chickweed, dandelions which grass to pick and which tree branches to use. :thumbsup:

TomsMum likes this.