1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over Grooming?

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by Kehaar, May 12, 2018.

1. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Cicero has been zealously over grooming Kouki for weeks now to the point she only has down on her head..and you can see her ears. I thought it was hormone related and he gets stupid during that period so I just left him to it thinking it'll go away. There was no sign of him doing it to himself. He's 'cut' the feathers, not plucked them. But I've noticed he's now started on his tummy. He's got it on his wings too. Symmetrically. So not sure if it's moult related. They get fruit, veg, seed and Harrison's. I have a feeling I've had this before and panicked only to realise it was moulting season. Not sure what to do, they have toys they play with in and outside the cage. Thinking of setting up a large stand for them, with lots of toys and going back to basics with training, as we have got a bit lax over the last year. Here are some pics. IMG_20180512_202016.jpg IMG_20180512_201912.jpg IMG_20180512_201006.jpg

2. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Just thought I'd add they get regular baths , their bath gets cleaned everyday and they join me in the shower sometimes if they are particularly cranky...

3. Roz

Roz Regular Member

It certainly does look like Cicero has been over preening Kouki. I think this does happen more in the breeding season? My thoughts would be to house them in separate cages side by side, so her feathers can grow back. It does look like he's also overpreening/snipping/plucking himself too - that doesn't look like a normal moult to me. Good idea to up the training and toys to give Cicero something else to do/think about.

Kehaar and TomsMum like this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

yes the female is being over groomed by the male and I also think that giving the male more things to help him play is the best way of distrackting him. you can try an anti plucking spray that dose not taste very nice to the female too see if this will discourage his over zealous affections

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Cicero has to be the most strong willed bird in the universe!

Kehaar likes this.
  6. marley

marley Regular Member

The joys of keeping mixed sexed birds in a situation where they can't breed unfortunately, it is possible that you will end up with two bald birds there by the looks of it.

7. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Not really a fan of those to be fair as it might stay on their tounge and I dont want their them to be put off their food ...it's bad enough trying to get them to take bits and mins! I think I'll try the training and toys first...I honestly feel awful. Cicero plays with the toys outside and inside the cage...or he sits with me a lot of the time. My routine has just got messed up with a new job and I'm seeing my horse a lot more. I feel I need to find a new rhythm for them to get used to. Even if.it means getting up at 4am for them to be out before I go see the horse and go to work.

8. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Right. Action plan. Divider, toys and training. Kouki could do with a break from that pest. But he's obviously suffering too :emoji_disappointed:

9. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Calm....you can do this..... they are Conures, they know how to press your buttons. They just need a bit of single space for those hormones to calm down. They are adaptable to a routine change, they can each have some time out with you.

10. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Ugh I just feel awful about it. Now they are both happily chewing the wooden toys on top of their cage. I will look at stainless steel mesh on ebay. Or I can get a slightly smaller cage and rotate them so both get time in the bigger cage...But if I can successfully divide the cage it'll stay that way. For. Ever!!!!!

11. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Going for a second cage...dividing the cage seems too much of a hassle and I bet I'll end up with birds with stubby feet if I do that! Best to just give each their own space and home :)

12. marley

marley Regular Member

Thats good for the female but I wouldn't be surprised if the male keeps plucking himself as his hormones are the problem, hope it works out

13. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Will he stop once the hormones settle down? I thought he'd already gone through hormones. A few weeks back he was just a nightmare, totally fluffed up 24/7 and totally aggressive towards me so I just backed off and left him to it when he was out. He definitely seems a lot more like his old self. He's back to sitting on my shoulder and chilling with me and flying about rather than trying to get into every dark spot he can find.