1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor Averies

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Kendra, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Is there anyone on here who has an outdoor aviary and uses the same wood appliances each year? For mine I have a few wood tree standa but dare not let the birds near them until they have been disinfected, but would this be enough. Any one?

2. marley

marley Regular Member

I think it would be fine, anything wood here just stays till it's wrecked, maybe jet wash if you are not sure or stuff has got a bit grubby

Roz, Kendra and TomsMum like this.
  3. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

They have just been outside for the past 12 months, no pollution but what natural nasties could be replicating in the bark?. I had to throw yards and yards of rope away, tiny bracket fungi were growing all along. The chance of mine wrecking them is zero, the birds just stand frozen when outside.

4. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

No idea Kendra. I cut off a big apple tree limb last year and left it in the garden until a month ago when I decided to put it in the aviary. I hosed it down a few times, then sprayed it until sodden with a strong mix of F10 - left it overnight, then hosed it down twice the next day. I'm hoping that's enough as Ollie chews and perches on it everyday. Jet washing is a good idea Marley - will have to get one.
    Yep rope seems to go mouldy fast. Have two rope Boings that I try to remember to bring inside most nights, especially when I know it's going to rain.

Kendra likes this.
  5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I take my rope down and soak it in a bucket of f10 from time to time to kill off any fungi and that strange green algae you sometimes get, sling it into a pillowcase and banged it through the washing machine without wash powder in on a boil wash. hang it out to dry for a little bit and then bunged it back in the aviary. My lot like to destroy stuff so I end up replacing it anyways.

Roz and Kendra like this.
  6. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

I was not allowed to put the rope in the washing machine, it is rather long, all in one instead of separate pieces.

I will soak everything in F10, watch now, it will not stop raining till October once I have done it.

DizzyBlue and Roz like this.
  7. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

Really good ideas - thanks, DizzyBlue! I've avoided putting my rope up but I will now!

By the way how do you stop the ends of rope fraying? I was told by someone an attachment that attaches a hosepipe to a tap works?

DizzyBlue and Kendra like this.
  8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I used those jubilee clips you use to pop hosepipes on to taps with ..... and then I wrap them in sisal string to stop beaks taking the screws out! and when I put the jubilee clip on I make sure that a large carabiner is attached to it. There is probably a lot easier ways to do it .....