1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Newest Family Member -- A Festive Amazon

Discussion in 'Parrot Media' started by rdc, Apr 7, 2019.

1. rdc

rdc Regular Member Registered

We finally brought her home a few days ago, and we're rearranging the house to make a comfortable place for her. Her name is Lucy, and here is a recent photo taken just today:

[​IMG]

Lucy has some digestive tract distress and we're giving her antibiotics. She is beginning to eat well, so it is encouraging. Lucy's vocalizations remind me a bit of Hubbard, our Red-Lored Amazon. Lucy is a little shy and slowly getting acclimated to the antics of the flock. Lord knows why, but some mutton-head closely cut her tail feathers, so once she finishes the series of antibiotics, the vet will pull out some of her tail feathers to stimulate growth. The problem is that she will have that many blood feathers all growing out at the same time, and she'll be vulnerable, so we're going to be closely monitoring her during the critical period of feather regrowth. The stress bars on her feathers show that she has suffered trauma, and I'm glad she is finally home with us. She is very special.

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Awww ...how lovely...welcome sweet Lucy. festive’s are such beautiful birds. Well it sounds as if she’s had a bit of a bumpy start to life, so am glad she is with you now @rdc and I’m sipure that with your knowledge she will soon be on the right track.

Looking forward to more photos!

rdc likes this.
  3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

How beautiful :)

rdc likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

She looks so lovely What a great addition to your family

rdc likes this.
  5. Ozzys owner

Ozzys owner Regular Member Registered

Beautiful!

rdc likes this.
  6. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

A lovely species, and hard to find. I hope you have many years of fun with her. Purely out of interest, are there any Salvin's Amazons in the UK any more? They used to have a pair at Rode tropical bird gardens years ago but I haven't seen one since.

rdc likes this.
  7. Oli Fry

Ah, I've just noticed you are in the States!

rdc likes this.
  8. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi hun please take great care with the above. My Ruby came with a class wing hack, some so short that I didn't believe she could moult them. I queried with my vet who is Craig Hunt at Chine House FYI about pulling some short ones as I was very ignorant in this regard and he said that he will not pull feathers. It is extremely painful to the bird and if feathers have to be removed for him to get to an injury he uses more pain relief and anaesthetic. A healthy diet of plenty of fresh veggies, sprouts and an organic pellet such as TOPs will stimulate new feathers honest, my girl has regrown hers, yes even the shortest ones and can fly again.

*If you are indeed in the USA there is a laissez faire attitude to feather pulling there and is not the case in the UK.

Kendra and rdc like this.
  9. TomsMum

Oh yes I remember them at Rode......really do miss our trips there, many happy memories

10. Oli Fry

Yes, they were obviously completely out of cash by the end but I loved it there. The Salvins were very friendly and noisy characters and I remember an absolutely huge blue-crowned mealy as well. There was a festive in a large communal aviary once but he wasn't there long as I recall.

11. TomsMum

It was all the thefts that finished it off, and when Mrs Risdon passed away, the family didn’t have the funds to make the place secure.

Kendra likes this.
  12. Oli Fry

Ah, that's very sad. I remember the hyacinths got stolen, or something. I learned so much there and sadly there's nowhere else quite it, apart from Paradise Park perhaps.

TomsMum likes this.
  13. TomsMum

Tropical Birdland, Desford near Leicester

14. Oli Fry

Thanks. I'll give it a go!

15. rdc

Yes, for better or worse, I'm in the US, and I did not realize that feather pulling was not so common in the US. I believe the vet's reasoning is that birds need tail feathers for balance and without them, there is a risk of injury from not being able to fly. I'll ask her at the end of the week when we return. Knowing nothing about this matter, it seemed like a good idea to follow the vet's advice.

Many years ago shortly after we re-homed our Timneh, Morgan, we took her to the vet and Marli noticed that Morgan had plucked herself quite a bit including most if not all of her tail feathers. After pulling 4, I believe it was, tail feathers, Morgan's tail feathers returned and she's not had any tail feather problems since.

With very few exceptions, I'm opposed to the clipping of feathers, and certainly not in the heavy-handed way it was done with Lucy and for that matter Mickey, our Roseifrons Conure.

I

DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.
  16. DizzyBlue

Have you thought about imping? that is becoming more and more popular over here to return a bird to its flighted situation from having been clipped.
    @rdc

rdc likes this.
  17. rdc

Not heard of imping before. Will run it by the vet and see what she thinks. Thanks!

DizzyBlue likes this.
  18. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

There is a parrot sanctuary near where we are gong in Lincolnshire, does anyone know anything about this?

19. DizzyBlue

@Kendra yes and sorry I have nothing good to say about it and no you don't wish to hear the horror stories!
    @rdc we have some imping threads on here that show some of the birds members over this side of the pond have had imped let me find them and will post links for you on this thread.

plumsmum, dianaT and Kendra like this.
  20. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

@DizzyBlue I had something in the back of my mind about them not being good, but will not be venturing there until I hear positive reports, not in Lincs yet, 9 B****y months to sell a chuffing house with buyers fighting at the door, would you believe it?