1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our New Puppy

Discussion in 'Non Parrot Media' started by Ararajuba, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

We obtained a new puppy today. First photo follows. She seems to like her new crate and is just settling down there at the moment. Anyone know what breed she is?

[​IMG]

She was a very confident little thing when marching around with her siblings, and happily came straight up to us to say hello. Her breeder said she was the dominant one of the litter and liked to keep the others away from their food till she had had her fill. He said (after we took her), that she's probably the one he would have kept from the litter if he could afford to feed another dog right now. The shock of leaving the litter and coming to new humans seems to have taken the wind out of her sails a bit though, and she's spent much of the time just resting or checking out her crate so far. Mrs A's car alam managed to go off while we were trying to figure out what was making the warning light stay on, which scared her a bit; then just as she was recovering from that a Dido went off as soon as we walked through the door, at about the same volume and persistence level. She was if anything more worried by the Dido scream than the car alarm, which says something for how horrid she can be when she really gets going.

The birds actually seem fine with her so far and have hardly reacted to her presence - Dido was just telling us off for going earlier, as she is in one of her moods today and had already had a good screech at us for daring to step out of the door this morning. The screeches followed us all the way down in the elevator as we were leaving, and we could still hear her still going as we returned, driving down the busy, traffic-filled street, several hundred metres away from the 13th floor appartment where we live.

Puppy had the biggest drink I've ever seen a dog of that size take - I think she must have been a bit affected by the heat today, especially all the travelling in a hot car, which she is probably not used to in any case. She didn't seem that hungry yet, but the breeder is feeding her three times a day at present, so she will probably be ready for her afternoon feed within a couple of hours.

2. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Well done and welcome . . . . :confundio1: puppy! Any ideas on names yet? Hope she will settle enough to eat this afternoon. :)

Ararajuba likes this.
  3. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@plumsmum - We were still trying to think of a name; no really good inspirations have struck yet!

Mrs A was thinking of calling her "Chocolate," after her colour, "Stella," because she has a star-shaped mark on her chest, or "Stinky," because that's what she is right now (this last should improve after a good bath, but I didn't want to do that till she's relaxed and settled in a bit more). I tried asking Baby L for suggestions too: the best she came up with so far were "Neh-neh," and "Dagar". I think they were meant to be name suggestions anyway. She also said something that sounded like "Good doggy," and "A-orro". The last was just her trying to say "Cachorro," though - it means roughly "Doggy" in Portuguese, so it wouldn't be a very imaginative name here!

I think she will eat: I gave her a couple of pieces of doggy ration to reward her for going in the crate by herself and she nibbled them after some initial caution. I actually think she needs feeding up a bit once she's eating properly. She's a reasonable size, and the largest of the litter, but still seems slightly skinnier than she should be - the breeder has a family in addition to quite a few large hungry dogs and seems to be struggling a bit for funds to feed everyone, as his current job isn't very well paid. (He told Mrs A the full sob story while we were looking at the pups.) He admitted that the feed he's been giving them for the last few weeks was not the one he would prefer, if he had more money. I think he was happy to sell her! He looked to me like one of those dog lovers who had got a bit carried away by his enthusiasm, and taken on more dogs at home than he could really cope with.

dianaT and plumsmum like this.
  4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Ah, let us hope the other pups get good homes soon to ease the burden? Well done Baby L, quite like Neh-neh btw. Something will come, hope the puppy is OK tonight and settles well in her crate. :)

Ararajuba likes this.
  5. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

She ate a big dinner and seemed to enjoy it, even though it wasn't the ration she was used to. Even after she'd had dinner the food was still working well enough as training treats. I suppose she's a hungry little dog with a lot of growing to do. She's managed to do two huge poos already as well. For now I'm trying to train her to do her business on a piece of paper on the balcony, which will make life a lot easier here. I managed to get a couple of wees on there, and then to my delight she started putting her poo in almost the right place; but as it was just missing the paper I decided to reposition her slightly. This proved out to be a bad move as she panicked when I touched her and tried to run back inside the crate mid-business. This resulted in quite a bit of poo going where it shouldn't, including my foot (yuck!). Then after I'd finished dealing with the mess she decided she hadn't finished, and came out to do more poos. Then it wasn't long before the dinner we'd just given her apparently filtered through her system, and there was a huge poo next to the paper, and a small one on it. Progress of a sort I suppose!

She certainly does like the crate! I think she feels secure in there - she's already learning to go in there when I tell her. She's doing it almost every time now. Birds keep looking at me in the hope that "Go to your box," which they also know, is for them to do and get a seed. She's starting to come to me on command too, but a bit hesitantly, on slightly trembly legs. She seems a bit more scared of me than Mrs A so far. Sometimes she sits and looks at me instead when I tell her to come, and tosses her head. I suspect this means that she already knows what to do, and is seeing what not obeying will get her. Well, it certanly won't get her a treat, or anything really!

She does seem fairly anxious to please actually, and it's very good that she's showing signs of responsiveness to training already - I think she's just a bit overwhelmed by the whole situation, so I'm not expecting too much till she's settled in a bit more. I know this breed can be stubborn though, and requires firm training - combined with her being the dominant dog of the litter, I'm assuming there wil be some resistance too! Mrs A has volunteered to bathe her later so that she is stinky no more - should be fun!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    plumsmum and dianaT like this.
  6. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

What breed is she?

7. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@Heather2131 - she's a breed local to here, called a Buldogue Campeiro (meaning Country Bulldog). I would think there are very few in the UK, and not many are kept elsewhere in general, so they're not easy to find out much about unless you can read Portuguese.

A little more information for anyone who's interested: They're very massively built dogs, larger and longer-legged than normal bulldogs, though still not particularly tall on the whole. There's some size variation - the big ones, especially males, can weigh 50 kilos or more, but around 35-45 is more usual. The father of ours is definitely one of the larger ones - he's a huge, solid thing, similar to a bullmastiff in size and build. He seemed a very calm, good-natured dog in the presence of his family - don't know what he'd be like without them of course. The mother is rather small, so it's hard to know how ours will end up!

They're very active and fit dogs, especially compared to normal bulldogs. They probably resemble old-fashioned English-type bulldogs more than anything else (they are mostly descended from them), as they were when they had to be fit, healthy, active working dogs before being bred as they are now, for a squashed-face appearance and attendance at dog shows. Some people still use them as working dogs, especially for hunting and livestock handling, though they are more often kept as companion dogs and guard dogs nowadays.

They're considered good with children, not overly aggressive, but very territorial, and can be tenacious in defense of their family or property, so they can make good combined family pets/guard dogs. They're quite trainable, as befits their working ancestry, but they can be a little bit dominant and stubborn, so they need an owner who can deal with this. They're supposed to be moderately sociable dogs with fairly low human aggression, but they will respond if they are confronted with serious threats or intrusions on their territory. Dog aggression can be a bit more of a problem at times, so they may need careful socialization and handling if they are going to come into contact with other dogs. This might be one of the things we have to watch out for with her.

They do seem to have the typical bulldog tendency of being very quiet dogs. We've hardly heard a sound from our pup since we got her, besides a little quiet whining when she was in her crate and couldn't see anyone while we were cleaning up her mess. The litter were almost completely silent while gambolling on the grass and meeting new people - a lot of wagging their crooked tails though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    TomsMum, Heather2131 and plumsmum like this.
  8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

We had a Labrador that didn't bark for the first year we had her haha we thought she couldn't
    But then she found her voice!

Ararajuba likes this.
  9. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

She seems to be settling in well. She's getting very good at coming when called and going to her crate when I tell her to. She's being a bit naughty about toilet training and not only missed the correct spot with her evening poo (though some wees made it) but made several enthusiastic assaults on the paper, clearly intent on ripping it to shreds. Each time I told her off for doing this, she ran in her crate to hide! :D Bet that won't stop her trying again when she thinks I'm not looking though. It seems I have to raise my voice only slightly to make her pay attention, which is good. Whether she actually wants to obey is harder to tell!

She did get a bit whiney when she was supposed to be settling down for the night - probably misses her parents and littermates. We found an old bedsheet (helpfully ruined by baby L, who found a small tear in it a while ago and enlarged it), and made it into a bundle. She seems to have accepted it as her new sleeping companion, and hasn't complained since she had it. She's sleeping in there cuddled up to it at the moment and seems reasonably content. I'm still going to have to stay up a while to wake her up in the night in case she needs the toilet though. I'm not confident she'll sleep through it yet, and don't really want her soiling her crate, or to leave it open so she can come out in the middle of the night and get into things she shouldn't. Mrs A succeeded in bathing her tonight in the shower (despite some resistance from a little pup who would rather have run away), with some nasty stinky camomile scented shampoo, which completely spoiled her lovely natural doggy perfume. There's still a bit of a doggy pong around which we can't locate the source of though - will have to check tomorrow and see if I missed anything!

plumsmum likes this.
  10. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Puppy is quite a clever little thing when she's paying attention and doesn't suffer selective hearing loss, and can obey 4 or 5 commands already. She will usually sit when I tell her, and stays for several minutes, sometimes even when I go out of the room. She also knows several things she's not supposed to do (like getting into the bin), but likes to have a good look at us to see what we are going to do if she disobeys, and sometimes goes ahead and does them anyway if she fancies her chances. Poor little headstrong, determined, dominant pup who was used to bullying all the rest of the litter is going to learn obedience in this household though!

She's quite an eating and pooing machine, which is creating plenty of work for us (especially the pooing). We wondered why there didn't seem to be any afternoon poos yesterday, then noticed last night (when it was too late to find anything in the dark) that there was quite a stink coming from behind the plant pots on the narrow end of our balcony. She's evidently decided that she has to climb over them to do her poos - presumably because it's the hardest place to reach in the house, so she knows that this will create more fun for us than anywhere else. Bye plants - you will have to go, as we don't have anywhere else for them!

She had a collar put on her yesterday as she came without one (has probably never worn one till now). She didn't really appreciate this and still tries to fight with it from time to time. I tried clipping the lead too, but it's very evident she won't be going anywhere just yet! She is a bulldog, after all - I don't think the family is the easiest to leash train, and she is rather young and unused to this sort of thing. Let's see how she does in a couple of days when she's more used to us and her collar.

I was just thinking she needed some kind of meaty, bony food with plenty of nutrients that could be managed by a puppy her age, to build her up a bit - there's a lot of bone and muscle for her to put on in the next few months, and she needs things to occupy her attention too. Mrs A got her one of those preserved pet shop bones, but it's rather large for her and she has so far shown no interest. We then saw a big bag of frozen cow's foot pieces in the shop yesterday, which looked like just the thing. I gave one to her about an hour ago and she is still very happily working on it after a bit of initial suspicion (obviously not the kind of food she was used to). I suspect she will be getting through many more of these in future!

11. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

She is beautiful.

Ararajuba likes this.
  12. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Time for an update. We've decided to call the doggy Tessa.

Nearly a month of Tessa now and she's almost doubled her original size! She's gone from 6 kilos (she helpfully went straight to sit on the scales when she arrived to weigh herself) to well over 10. This is despite having a bad worm infestation which we are going to treat again in about a week. The breeder was supposed to have wormed her not long before we had her - either she picked some new ones up, or he didn't do a very good job! After we gave her worm medication there seemed to be more worms than poo coming out for a day or two (and she does enough of the latter). It was quite disgusting...! Anyway, she seems better now and her belly has stopped being distended (it was when she arrived, which made us suspicious, even before we started seeing worms in her droppings).

She's still been doing small amounts of bloody poo some days though, so we're taking some poo samples to the vet shortly to see whether she can figure out what is causing it. There has been an outbreak of the Giardia parasite recently in this district of the city, which is transmissible to humans, so the vet wants to make sure it's not this, especially with baby L around, who we are keeping very carefully separate from the doggy just in case. She can look, but definitely not touch!

She's been doing a lot of shedding - we're not sure whether this is caused by the worms, another parasite we don't know about yet, or skin irritation that's causing her to scratch a bit. The vet thought she might have caught a canine form of scabies from her mother, so she wants to do a skin test too - it could also be that her skin is sensitive to the detergent we have been using to clean up after her. Her skin isn't that bad though, considering the amount of shedding. Apparently bulldogs can be quite heavy shedders, and it seems to be the time of year for shedding in any case, so it may be mostly that.

We've switched to a harness for walkies, as she pulls ridiculously hard on her collar and is a very stubborn little dog too when she decides she wants to go somewhere that we don't want her to go. Mrs A can hardly hold on to her when she starts pulling. She especially wants to get into the grass and roll around in it - which is where Giardia and other parasites, like more worms, are lurking at this time of year, especially with all the dog walkers around here not cleaning up after their pets properly, so this is not allowed. She was getting a scrape on her neck from all the pulling she's been doing, so it was high time for a different method of attachment to the human.

She's a rather stinky little dog, not helped by the fact that she likes to run in her wee after she does it (and sometimes lie down in it before it gets cleaned, despite having plenty of other places to lie down). She also tends to bolt her food ridiculously quickly, so is getting a lot of gas. I'm hoping she will learn not to do this in time! She doesn't have a brother and sisters to compete with any more!

She learns commands fairly well, but sometimes becomes very disobedient and stubborn. She somehow invented that two corners of the living room were her naughty corners, where she could go and be safe from having to obey the human whenever she felt naughty. Once I figured out that this was what she thought (she kept running there whenever she disobeyed) I decided to shove her out of those corners and stand in them myself so that she learned they were not her personal territory, and that she was not safe from having to obey a human anywhere. She had to be forcibly removed about 20 or 30 times from each one before she got the message that she didn't own those spots! She even kept trying to come back to her favourite corner (creepily, with tail between legs) and to shove me out of the way so she could go back and sit in her favourite spot! She's been much more obedient since she accepted that these were not her private territory though. I expect more reinforcement of this will be required in future, due to Tessa being a VERY stubborn little dog. Serves us right for getting a bulldog, really...

She can be quite nervous and jumpy with strangers, depending how they approach her. Unfortunately a lot of people (mainly loud, perfumed women with flapping dresses, none of which she seems to react well to, either individually or together), want to approach her and touch her when we go out, because she seems cute - them approaching too suddenly and shoving hands in her face can send her into a panic. The only thing they seem interested in finding out before doing this is "Does she bite"? I'm thinking of lying in response: "Yes, she's vicious - keep away!" to get people to calm down a bit about touching her, as most don't do it sensibly and this is getting quite problematic, as she is learning to react with a tantrum each time. We bathed her at the attached doggy salon before taking her to the vet the other day (she's had lots from us, but the doggy smell is still winning). The tatooed doggy bather just walked straight towards her and snatched her up without so much as a by-your leave to take her to be bathed, so she reacted by weeing all over his shoes and trousers, which served him right really. I suppose he's used to dealing with spoiled little lapdogs who get picked up and carried about all the time, which seem to predominate around here in the tiny apartments! I didn't even apologise, as he didn't apologise for just grabbing her and picking her up without asking us whether it was ok first!

Some up-to-date pictures of Tessa will follow shortly.