1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our New Family Member

Discussion in 'Parrot Media' started by rdc, Feb 19, 2019.

1. rdc

rdc Regular Member Registered

His name is Mickey, he's about 6 months old and is in a room with eight (8) other birds. Will have him sexed at the vet next week when he gets a well-check.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, he/she is a Rose-Fronted Conure aka Roseifrons Conure (Pyrrhura roseifrons roseifrons)

Mickey is on the right and his/her clutch-mate to the left.

[​IMG]

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

well Mickey looks like an amazon to me. a Pyrrhura parvifrons or Amazon red fronted Conure. I have not seen one apart from a few photos I have a green cheeked and I had Maroon belied, fiery-shouldered (amazing birds), Painted, and Blue throated pair (now on Breeding Programme) in the Pyrrhura conure species they are lovely birds. so I got the species wrong Ha Ha I should of read your text first.

rdc likes this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Well I am positive I was correct in my thoughts, just checked the roseifrons and you do not have one but yours are not so common and looks a lovely bird. I thought I new my conures Ha Ha

4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Definitely looks like a Conure to me!

rdc likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

yes it is a conure @TomsMum its a Amazon Red Fronted Conure,

6. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Congrats, rdc, Mickey is stunning!!!

rdc likes this.
  7. rdc

Thanks, Roz! Mickey is getting settled in. Mickey is charming, full of energy and just yesterday when I came into the room he/she--we'll find out which next Monday--greeted me with a foot-wing stretch.

This little bird kind of gets me right where I live.

I've got two more photos of him below and while they are very similar, I'm experimenting with 2 different work-flows and wonder if you find one better than the other, #1 or #2.

Both images are from the same photo but processed in a different way.

Thanx!

# 1 [​IMG] #2 [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    TomsMum, JessCheekyMia and dianaT like this.
  8. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Rushing out now, but I think I prefer #2. Reason being Mickey is in sharp focus drawing the eye to him rather than the yellow writing and perch. I seem to see a little more detail in his feathers in #2 too... perhaps because it is slightly lighter.

JessCheekyMia, dianaT and rdc like this.
  9. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Mickey is gorgeous. I prefere photo 2 too. Xx

rdc likes this.
  10. rdc

Thanks. You have a good eye for detail.

The original raw image was shot and then processed in Photoshop. I noticed a long time ago that it is possible to make the cage bars disappear but with a loss in clarity. What I'm trying to do is to restore the clarity with respect to the subject (Mickey) but nowhere else in the image.

In the photo below, the cage bars in the foreground are even less visible. This image is of Bobby (on the right) and Dolly, taken about 10 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Nigalius and dianaT like this.
  11. rdc

Thank you, and I appreciate the feedback.

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  12. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Mickey looks like a cute little bird, congratulations on acquiring him! He may actually be a hybrid between a rosifrons and something else closely related such as a painted or white-eared conure, considering several features of his markings, but especially how small the red patch on his forehead is - it usually covers most of the head! I'm not sure whether this is just a juvenile feature for this species though - in which case he should start getting his adult colouring within a few months. (Never underestimate the potential for individual variation in the Pyrrhura conures either!)

I hope the other bird in the cage is healthy - his beak certainly looks like it could do with some attention, as it is rather overgrown!

A very sweet picture of the Nanday and Pionus there. Lovely colours on both of them.

rdc likes this.
  13. rdc

Many thanks. Mickey is just 6 months old, so he will change, and it will be interesting to see how he changes. I plan to photograph him regularly so I will have a record of this change. With so many--4 to 7 depending on whose reference you read--subspecies of Painted Conures I imagine there are many possible plumage combinations.

The other bird in the cage--which incidentally had bars in the foreground that "magically" disappeared--is Mickey's clutch-mate. Arthur C. Clarke that said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.", so this business of disappearing bars is magic for me since I don't entirely understand it well enough to repeat it whenever I would like.

Good point about never underestimating the potential variation. Makes like interesting.

Not sure about the overgrown beak. Didn't even notice it being so focused on the Mickey. Maybe it's genetic or congenital.

14. rdc

upload_2019-2-20_22-35-31.jpeg
    Here’s a shot taken with an iPhone — way more nimble & less intimidating to Mickey.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  15. rdc

OK, here's 3 versions of the original image in this thread showing #1 minimum, #2 maximum and #3 optimized clarity for Mickey. If that doesn't make sense then hopefully a picture will:

168843188.5HfsS2tm.jpg

16. rdc

17. rdc

Thanks and sorry to be so long replying.

Well, the Avian Vet examined Mickey and said she was not familiar with this species, but was surprised by the length of Mickey's beak for a birds that is only 6-month's old. The bird is also un-banded. Banding of birds is required in the US for interstate travel. Mickey has had his/her tail feathers clipped, described by the vet as "scuttle-butt", causing a lack of balance and vulnerability to injury in the case of a fall. We've padded the bottom of the cage with a towel.

If Mickey does not begin to show tail-feather growth by the end of the month, the vet will pull out some of the tail feathers to stimulate that growth. I've seen this operation work with our Timneh.

Hopefully Mickey will have these feathers after the fall molt. It's concerning because of the likelihood of injury.

This bird beats its wings like crazy not realizing that flight is not possible. Mickey is a hearty soul, and is getting acclimated to the flock and us.

He/she has some curious vocalizations with a raspy voice making those croaking sounds you hear from crows.

Yes, there may be some hybridization. I've seen a fair amount of colour variation from images on-line.

In any case, we have a new member in the flock and he/she is a delight.

Bobby, the Blue-headed Pionus in that image with the Nanday, Dolly, is taking a keen interest in Mickey. Bobby has bonded and shared cages with Dolly and Brian, a Black-cap, and I would not be surprised if he does so with Mickey, too.

Ararajuba and dianaT like this.
  18. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@rdc - They can be pretty croaky sometimes, especially when they talk (I wouldn't say they're the most accomplished talkers). Our crimson-bellied conure also likes to make a curious purring noise when she is happy, almost like a cat; they also oink quite a lot, like like tiny pigs, when happy or contented. Vivi, who should be very, very similar to a rosifrons except for having somewhat different markings, is much the quieter of the two, except for her alarm call, which can be quite ear-splitting. Does Mickey have clipped wings, or does he just not know how to fly?

I hadn't noticed Mickey's beak so much due to its position and the other's being so prominent, but yes, I would say his looks overgrown too. For comparison here is a closeup of ours at the same age, Vivi in the foreground proudly displaying her beak:

[​IMG]

Incidentally, I'm glad that your pionus is getting along with Mickey already, as we were thinking of getting one soon, and would like to see this happening with ours too if possible!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    rdc and TomsMum like this.
  19. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

The rosifrons conures of the breeder from whom we got the girls pictured above look like this:

[​IMG]

dianaT, rdc and TomsMum like this.
  20. rdc

I'll have to listen to Mickey for those sounds your Crimson Belly makes. Mickey does have clipped wings and he has not fledged yet, but he is trying very hard to fly. We will give Mickey a good home.

I believe inter-species bonding is pretty common. I know of birds who've been caged together and when given the chance to be apart, bond with another bird. I'm thinking of a pair of Macaws who were split up and one bonded with another Macaw from a different species. A liberating experience no doubt.

Do you have a preference for any particular species of Pionus? There are seven (7) species of this bird, though Plum-crowns are virtually impossible to find in the US. I hear Maxis make good companions.

Ararajuba likes this.