OMG New Bird!

Tina

well I jumped in the deep end today. a few days ago i saw a bird in a local pet shop and have spent about 4 hours in the shop with it and fell in love. It is hand reared and 14 weeks old. African grey.

so today we went and bought her- I have called her Poppy.

She is nicely settled in her cage and accepting food from me. She allowed me to pick her up and she sat on my hand while i placed her in the cage. she took her time to transfer onto a perch

I am just waiting for the house to be quiet ( we have visitors at the moment) and then I shall get her out.

I am feeling really nervous is she likely to go frantic and fly around the room in a panic.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!! how should i handle this. :shok:

Kerstin

Up to you really,

is the room safe for her if she fly ? A lot to think about..the light, is it a hanging lamp with cable .... the curtains..and and and ..so much to think about and making sure its safe for her

I would maybe leave her in her cage to get her settled and used to the room all in all as it is her first day and night soon...

Last edited:

Bob

Bird Whisperer
Staff member
Admin
Congratulations, that's great :yahoo: :yahoo:

I doubt if she will fly around in a panic, but best to ensure there are no hazards (windows, mirrors, fires etc) she may have a few crash landings until she gets used to the room, on the other hand she might be quite happy to sit with you...how is she in the cage, eating and drinking ok?

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse
agree with Kerstin that you need to make the room safe but your baby should be used to being handled as she has been hand rearer. I would see how it "feels". When we got Holly we handled her straight away. I don't think she will suddenly start flying room the room in a crazy panic.

A good thing is to start using "step up" straight away. Make sure your hand is nice and firm and encourage her to step up. I always say "step up". Within a couple of days Holly was doing this fine. Then see if she wants to cuddle up to you xx

Tina

She is really a chilled out bird. she has found her food and is climbing around her cage and playing with her new toys. she has not reacted badley to anything or person she is OK with the telly too. I think the room is safe blinds are closed and the cooking is finished over an hour ago so everything is cold.

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse
go for it then - the sooner you start to bond the better. I think she will be happy to sit with you and if she flies she flies xx

Tina

If she flies what do i do? Apart from try not to panic :( I am not frightened of the fact of her flying - just that she does not know where to land safley

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse
I think you just have to let her be and see where she lands. The main problem is windows - but as its dark the blinds are shut. She may crash a couple of times but she will be okay xx

Bob

Bird Whisperer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah sure she'll be fine, chances are she won't fly much at first , but if she does will be ok, she has to learn the layout and soon will :thumbsup:

Tina

I will let you know how i get on. once my visitors have left. thanks for the encouragement :th_smiley_flowers: :th_smiley_flowers:

Kerstin

if she crash dont run over to her..let her have a look around and make your way to her slowly :)

she will be fine.. Baby crash at least 3 times a day(she cant fly atm, but always tries or she gets exited while playing and falls off her perch ) and i know its a terrible feeling as i always want to run cause i think she might have hurt herself but that makes her panic then, so i give her 1-2 min then i go to her talking gently,

Tina

I didn't feel this nervous when i brought my son home. But i also feel REALLY EXCITED

Siobhan

Hi enjoy lovely Poppy and don't freak out if she sleeps lying down babies sometimes do this and in particular if she doesn't know the coolest perch in the place yet , Zebbie did this on his first evening. Just talk gently to her they love it when you whisper it's like they are in on a big secret! Who was the breeder , I'm interested as my Zebbie is from Rotherham / Blyth area.

Shelley

Thatter
Congratulations on your new baby!!! You have to change that bit of your info now that says you don't have any parrots at the moment!! :smile3:

Tina

Hi enjoy lovely Poppy and don't freak out if she sleeps lying down babies sometimes do this and in particular if she doesn't know the coolest perch in the place yet , Zebbie did this on his first evening. Just talk gently to her they love it when you whisper it's like they are in on a big secret! Who was the breeder , I'm interested as my Zebbie is from Rotherham / Blyth area.
I got her from Markham Grange - they would not tell me who the breeder was. and she does not have a ring do i need to get her registered or chipped or something.

Top Bottom