Nuts, When/how/if

Nigalius

Madras
I have a question about nuts to our birds.

For 3 or 4 weeks I have closely been monitoring Nacho's weight as he seems to be putting on a bit too much. I dont know how much and it will be impossible to weigh him so that is out of the question. But I am wondering if its something I am doing wrong. He gets a lot of out the cage time and if I am here all day its most of the time except if I clean Roxy's cage, ironing and one or two other times.

Here are the thinks that dont seem any different. Flying is Normal, I check the breathing and appears normal, Feather condition is superb at the moment. Is always active, poops appear normal, eating is normal and in other words I am sure physically he is fine. But..... I wonder if I am feeding too many nuts.

An example would be like twice or so per week I will put nuts in with his seeds, never with the fresh stuff and the nuts I feed are usually Wallnuts and Almonds. I will put something like 3 or 4 Almonds and perhaps half a Wallnut broken up. Plus there will be a few pinenuts given as treats. I am thinking this would be too much for a Senegal? What do others think about this? He does love them but also eats most other things and loves his fruit and veg, favourites being carrots, broccolli, peas and beans. Also loves Grapes if I cut them up and satsuma segments.

So, is it possible I am feeding too much in the way of nuts?

Thanks

Well Nigel all I can say is my Sennies well all the flock, every afternoon have about 2 cashews & maybe half a walnut, they don't always eat the walnut though, none are overweight, plus plenty of fruit & veg and of course their Tidymix. Perhaps try 1 Almond & 1 half of walnut and the occasional pine nut, rather than cut them out just reduce the quantity.

Morning Nigel hmm well Scooby gets six patchio nuts every day and a few pine nuts as well and whats in his Tidymix nothing more or less really have done this since for roughly 3 years now. I don't think Scooby is over weight as the vet would of said something .I would give him his nuts twice a week see how he goes and if he loses a few ounces Nigel xx

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tidymix i have just changed to Nigel about 2 or 3 months ago now .x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mmmmmmm, interesting. I wonder if its just that he seems to be bonding a bit more now and you know how they puff out a bit sometimes. Its really very little indeed but shall reduce the quantity.

Nacho is a different type of Sennie and somewhat bigger than Roxy. I will reduce the almonds to one for Nacho and keep my eyes on it.

I give my sennies a full walnut and just watch them get into them it is amazing that a nut about the size of there heads is not a challenge to a sennie. I am sure the effort to get into the nut will help burn off the fats they are about to get.

Perhaps break the almonds in half, then he'll think he's getting more than he really is. I'd cut down slowly too. Are you able to feel his stomach/keel bone without losing your fingers?

Yes @Roz I could break them in half and am sure he would not notice so will try that as from this evening when he gets the nuts together with the seed. I will look around for a different food for a while too, something which would be suitable for birds that need to lose a few gramms. The trouble is I am not even sure he is overweight. My gut feeling tells me he just puffs the feathers out sometimes and I am sure sometimes I just look in the cage and he is not puffed. But I should not exagerate either and percentage wise I would say 5% perhaps. I think is what we all do at sometimes, have concerns over nothing. So my next job is cutting Nacho's nuts in half.

I should also say he appears to be eating perfectly normal, not more or less than normal and poos seem fine. I wonder if its something to do with the temp I have it here, I think I do have it on the cooler side sometimes, something like 16c.

Can you weigh him Nigel? In my opinion it's unusual for Sennies to become overweight.

I will give it a go but dont think I will be too successful. He is not too good with hands when outside the cage but adores them inside. I can be like this sometimes and actually do suffer from mild anxiety problems for myself. Am on medication for that. I think that anxiety is creeping over to the birds care too.

Back
Top Bottom