Nuts Please Don't Laugh

Tina

I bought some walnuts in there shells thinking they would be a thing that parrots would die for. but poppy wont touch them. she eats them in with her mix.

I even opened one and left it on her play stand in its shell but she just screamed at it.

do they eat the in the wild?

Am i doing something wrong?

would almonds be a better choice?

haha, bless. If she`s never seen one before in the shell she just may not know what to do with it, try cracking it in half or even crushing it.

She`s probably just scared and doesn`t know what to do.

It`s sort of like providing you with sliced pineapple rings every day then suddenly handing you a pineapple and saying 'well eat it then'!!

Some birds do like Almonds too, it`s trial and error but I bet the Walnuts will be a hit given time.

Tina,

had same here in beginning with budge and baby as well...

I broke them into halfs still in shell and had one in front of them - think it was cause they never had one before

Now they would die for it..i just have to say who wants a nut and baby is dancing on her perch ;)

But I bought the ones without shell now from scarletts as you can freeze them cause its getting harder now to get them in shell

Yeah as the others say she probably just didn't know what to do with them :biggrin:

I'm sure she will take to them in time. We go through a period of "do I don't I" till they touch anything new - it can take weeks with these sometimes xx

Jenny is just the same, she likes her food provided "ready to eat", we made a game of nut cracking at christmas, she was more interested in the nutcrackers themselves :lol:

Back
Top Bottom