1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nut Bell

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Rockerman 65, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Rockerman 65

Rockerman 65 Regular Member

Hi all I got some Johnsons Nut & Honey Bells for my ringnecks Xmas is it ok to feed him this. Please see below. Thanks in advance Screenshot_20190104-202601.png

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

yes the ringneck will soon destroy it.

3. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Trouble is they are high in sugar (honey). I got into big trouble with my avian vet many years ago when I fed these sorts of things to my budgie. Since then I have never bought anything like that again.

4. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Yes I found this out they are glued togther with sugar. Terrible they are aloud to sell them really.

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Its like any occasional treat that keeps your bird occupied. on the odd time and using for a bird to learn to play with the things in its cage especially if it is placed in a difficult place to get to can have its advantages

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  6. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

not something I buy often but as a rare occassional treat they have their place. I keep one in for if I have a stressed peed off little bird who needs a distraction. that starving stray cockatiel I took in got one his first week as he was a very unhappy frightened bird . took his mind off his situation. big danger is if they are frequent as all that sugar is very bad for caged birds. I also sometimes buy one for the aviary birds when its freezing cold as I think they need all the calories they can get down them when the weather is vile midwinter-and one bell between a dozen budgies, 6 cockatiels and some zebra finches is gone in the blink of an eye lol

7. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

I have given mine them in the past. But only for Hatchday and Christmas's. They didn't really eat them except my budgies.
    I then started to get them and other ones for Amelia regularly when she was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The vet said she can have them to encourage her appetite.
    I agree to give them as a treat now and again.

8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mine have similar type ones at only Christmas, they soon shred them, doubt that any gets eaten!

JessCheekyMia likes this.