Non Endangered Bird Travel In Europe

Delphine

Registered
Hi all,
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere as I did not find the answer that I was looking for.
I would like to know if there are any formalities required to travel in Europe , namely between the Uk and France with a budgerigar.
Thank you for your help
Dee

Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome, as far as I know all birds traveling from England to France should hold a certificate from a recognized vet that the bird is free from disease any tests should be done not long before traveling.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
hi and welcome to the forum :)
Are you travelling by car and going through the channel tunnel or by ferry rather than by flying?
Best to double check with a quickie phone call to make sure this is the peeps that can tell you they are the government sector dealing with such things.
upload_2019-7-18_6-25-32.png

Oddly enough I know there's one person on here that does a spot of travelling with their bird that may know the full answer.
I seem to think that its just proof of ownership and fitness to travel letter and since its between here and France and no where else the disease testing side of it is pretty much out the window for a budgie :) I love the fact you wish to take him/her with you
@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Wendy do you and Dora travel back and forwards?

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hello @Delphine and welcome,
Dora has done the journey with me 3 times, crossing via the Channel Tunnel.
I made a lot of enquiries with Eurotunnel and was advised there was nothing I needed to provide, but to formally check in at reception on arrival (rather than the self check in booth). The first time I did as asked and the person on reception hadnt a clue about formalities so phoned for advice and we were just told "thats fine, off you go and by the way seeing her has made my shift much better".
On the return journey we just drove straight through and on her final journey (to move house) I declared her presence but wasnt asked for papers at all.

One thing I would advise is to make sure you can keep your bird cool enough whilst driving - Dora travelled in a pacobird carrier and I had to rig up a reflective windscreen shield to protect her from the sun... a bit difficult to make out in the picture Im afraid.pacobird with reflector.jpg I also used a rope perch to help her hold on better and softer on the feet, and I had prepared "treats" for the whole journey and stopped every hour so that she could come out into the car, stretch and eat and drink

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

@Delphine - the only thing Dora was a bit concerned with on Eurotunnel was when the there was the change in air pressure and alert noise as the doors between compartments shut and we were right by the doors! But I talked to her all the time to reassure her and there were no ill effects.
You might note that I use the pacobird sideways on in the car - It still fixes OK with the seat belt loops but if I put it so that she is facing forwards she spends all her time hanging onto the side panel to see me! So its better for her to be more relaxed on her perch. She will often preen on the move and will eat too, but I make sure she drinks when we stop.

Delphine

Registered
I furthered my enquiry and for completeness I thought that I would post my findings.
Budgerigars are not subject to any formalities for import in the UK - i.e. if you are travelling from Europe to the UK.
However, regulations are countries dependent. To import a budgerigar in France, one needs to have an export health certificate that can be downloaded here: https://www.gov.uk/export-health-certificates. The health certificate needs to be signed by a vet and returned there: [email protected] . Once signed, the certificate is valid for 10 days. For information - I rang my local vet, and they would charge £85 for signing the form.
Any questions here are the authorities contact details:
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Telephone: 03000 200 301 Fax: 0208 0260 498 Email:[email protected]
For information it is best to call them as it is different department dealing with import and export.

I understand from the above that people have been able to enter the EU without such certificate. It is not up to the carrier (Eurotunnel etc...) but up to authorities to let you in and your animal. Therefore there is a risk if one travels without a certificate as customs are entitled to refuse entry to the bird.

Rather heavy duty as the certificate on an animal such as a budgerigar is really a hard push.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

I was both remiss then at believing what I was told and lucky that the authorities at both Calais and Folkestone Eurotunnel, despite having been introduced in person to Dora didnt want to know any more than that she was with me in a carrier and safe for the crossing.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Must update some of these threads with the new regulations for cites and none cites birds.

Top Bottom