No more eggs!

One of our rescue hens, Sprinkles, has the typical tumours (still small enough to be of not much concern) but also cysts. She became so quiet and miserable, prompting a vet trip. He put her on a course of prednisolone (steroid), and she is like a whole new chicken! She's running around and bossing the others about again, it's brilliant to see. The course is due to finish soon so I checked with the vet and he's decided to keep her on it indefinitely. Parrots, raptors etc.. he wouldn't because of the issues of diabetes and other complications brought on by the drug, but he said chickens can somehow handle it better. He had one who they thought they could perhaps help for a couple more months, but she lasted another 4 years with no problems!

The only down side is that because out of the 9 hens, we don't know which (if any!) eggs are hers so we're not supposed to eat them. It's such a shame to see the eggs thrown away, they work so hard for them. A very irresponsible question I know... but would anyone know, the risks? Basically she is on half a tablet every other day. We don't even know if she's laying eggs, but we tend to get about 5 a day overall. So even if some ARE hers, the chances of us eating them one after the other are remote, and we don't eat eggs every day. Would there be any real issues if we occasionally ate an egg of hers?

dianaT

Staff member
Well all I can say is when we kept hens some of ours had Mycroplasma and were treated with Ethroymycin in their water, the vet said you should not eat their eggs, then as an aside said 'I would'. So we did and were okay. I would say the amount that would pass into the egg if she still lays is minimal and if you use eggs for baking then they are diluted even more, the choice is yours but that's my opinion!

Well all I can say is when we kept hens some of ours had Mycroplasma and were treated with Ethroymycin in their water, the vet said you should not eat their eggs, then as an aside said 'I would'. So we did and were okay. I would say the amount that would pass into the egg if she still lays is minimal and if you use eggs for baking then they are diluted even more, the choice is yours but that's my opinion!
I was kind of thinking in that line, and I know it's down to our own choice ultimately. I guess I just wanted other opinions and to make sure there wasn't a "DON'T DO IT!! IT'S TOO DANGEROUS" answer. ;) Thank you!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Do all your chickens lay the same coloured eggs? You could perhaps separate the hen on meds with a friend so you could find out what colour her eggs are and just exclude that colour from your diet.

Do all your chickens lay the same coloured eggs? You could perhaps separate the hen on meds with a friend so you could find out what colour her eggs are and just exclude that colour from your diet.
They're all the same colour unfortunately :nut: But that would have been a great idea! It's a shame we can't give her a supplement that will turn the shells a different colour :risas3:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

we'll just have to go with science (hopefully I have copied the link correctly above) according to the above the dose is negligible in an egg compared to everything else we eat that has such things in it.

there may be a way MJGB try a little food colouring on the chicks vent, as the egg is slightly moist it should stain the egg as its laid
A good idea definitely, to find out whether she is indeed laying eggs! Maybe even purple spray as that transfers quite well too! Long term though, I don't think we'd have the patience to go outside early every morning to dab her little bum to figure out which ones were hers after that :lol:

Last edited:

we'll just have to go with science (hopefully I have copied the link correctly above) according to the above the dose is negligible in an egg compared to everything else we eat that has such things in it.
Where on earth do you find this stuff! You are defo the resident science buff here :applaudit:Seriously though, it does put my mind at ease! Thank you all for your comments and ideas, really really helpful!!

Top Bottom