No further forward...

Bec90

Registered
Evening all,
Day 8 with Rio at home. His now comes straight out of his cage and his happy to sit on the top of his cage.
He takes a couple of flights around the lounge and then settles on the cage.
We offer our hands slowly to him yet he still flies away! We can get really close and he takes nuts/treats off of us yet when we want to try train him to step up his gone lol.
Are we still premature to think he should be getting used to us now or is 8 days still too early??
Many thanks

Every bird is different, some can take years, some become friendly within. Personally I think after only 8 days you are doing fine, patience and things will eventually work fine.

Every bird is different, some can take years, some become friendly within. Personally I think after only 8 days you are doing fine, patience and things will eventually work fine.
Aw thankyou. Literally as I posted this post, for the first time ever Rio is flying off his cage straight for us. I think his looking for somewhere to land. Literally almost landing on us. I'm so pleased x

It can be a case of they want to land on you but they don't totally trust you yet.

Eclectus Frankie has been like that with me for months. It is only because he wants to know what I am doing with Jardine Jessie that he has recently started landing on my shoulder - she looks like she is having fun and he might feel like he is missing out.

Play it cool, try not to react, let him dictate the pace. I am sure that it will happen soon.

It can be a case of they want to land on you but they don't totally trust you yet.

Eclectus Frankie has been like that with me for months. It is only because he wants to know what I am doing with Jardine Jessie that he has recently started landing on my shoulder - she looks like she is having fun and he might feel like he is missing out.

Play it cool, try not to react, let him dictate the pace. I am sure that it will happen soon.
Yes I can definitely tell his warming to us by the day! Like you say the total trust isnt quite there but his being very Inquisitive. We just sit still and let him fly around us. His so low his just not quite sure when and where to land. Very exciting x

The environment is still new to him and he hasn't been flying long, but he will soon be able to pick his landing spots with incredible accuracy.

Our budgies can fly very close to us. We just move slowly or stay still - they are far more capable of avoiding us than we are of avoiding them. When all four budgies are in the air at the same time, it feels quite intense, but they are expert flyers and they have never hit us.

The environment is still new to him and he hasn't been flying long, but he will soon be able to pick his landing spots with incredible accuracy.

Our budgies can fly very close to us. We just move slowly or stay still - they are far more capable of avoiding us than we are of avoiding them. When all four budgies are in the air at the same time, it feels quite intense, but they are expert flyers and they have never hit us.
Aww haha yes I can imagine that's intense with 4. Really lovely to watch him improve by the day x

Bear in mind also that they can be stubborn, we can ask them to do something like step up, but if they don't want to, they won't. :lol: Our Bebe can step up perfectly..... when she wants to, or if it's the right person asking in the moment. My husband tried to bring her in the front room today, and she screamed and lunged for him. He shouted through to me "come and get your diva daughter", and 30 seconds later she was stepping up calmly and wiping her cheeks on me. :lol: Tomorrow she might refuse to hitch a lift on either of us, or want her daddy. It is a lot of patience and consistency, sometimes it feels like you're going backwards and in circles!

Back
Top Bottom