1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Un-tamed Conure

Discussion in 'Training' started by Red_Stafford, May 21, 2018.

1. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Registered

Hi all, we added a 4 month conure to our family Saturday, he is untamed and unfortunately after buying I was told of some very bad stories about the breeder/trader I brought him/she off.

My 3 year old daughter as named him/her Skye after a character off paw patrol, we have kept Skye in the cage since Saturday to try and get used to the surroundings, at first he would just cling onto the bars at the back of the cage but now he is moving about a lot more, playing with his toys, eating and briefly coming to and from the front of the cage.

Do you have any advice for me please.

Ps, if you play that YouTube video yanny/laurel he whistles and plays on his toys lol.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dianaT likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: your conure is lovely. We have members who live with those lovely birds and I expect they will be along with advice in due course.

Red_Stafford likes this.
  3. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Registered

A few people told me to return it to the breeder but if what I have heard is true I would rather keep Skye and try to tame than to return to be mistreated, she/he's got some beautiful colours

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Best you keep Skye and give this lovely little one a very good life with you.

Red_Stafford likes this.
  5. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

He is lovely i have a conure called chase after paw patrol. I cant offer much advise as mine was hand reared. However when we first got him he did bite me constantly and pretty hard to dont underestimate there bite lol also they do tend to bite ears. I no chase does like me just talking to him and if i leave the room he calls out beep beep so i beep beep him back lol think he likes to no im still about. Have you tried giving him treats threw the bars maybe that would gain abit of trust and just sitting by him reading or just watching tv so he sees you aint a threat. I hope you can tame him as they can make great pets. If you do take a nip off him dnt make a sound and put him on the floor and ignore him i done this and it really did work.

Attached Files:

Red_Stafford and dianaT like this.
  6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi there and :welcome: to the forum to you and your family and little Skye. Well it sound like he/she is settling in. We are a friendly bunch here and will offer all the help and Advice that we can...so I would say, keep the dear little thing, and we can advise you on some training techniques.
    Start off by sitting as close to the cage as you can, without making Skye scuttle away, don’t look directly at him/her, but brief glances then look away. Talk quietly, even read out loud if you are reading something, get the other members of the family to do this too, so Birdie gets used to everyone in the new flock.

You can look at some great threads we have from Roz in our training section..
    They will help you through getting your bird to trust you and step up for you, either to your hand or a perch.

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...-reliable-step-up-and-trouble-shooting.21605/

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...rcers-and-how-to-identify-and-use-them.29149/

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...-and-parrots-who-are-fearful-of-humans.29148/

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/shaping-the-step-up-back-to-basics.21349/

If there’s anything you’re not sure of just ask.

Red_Stafford and dianaT like this.
  7. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Registered

yes we are defo hoping to keep him, Skye as already bitten me and drew blood, the first time I grabbed him/she to put him in the cage as he tried to escape up the blinds, but I dont blame Skye this was our first interaction really and didn't know us. we have been sitting next to the cage talking to him, we have also tried offering him goodies through the cage like strawberry's etc and he takes them off a kebab stick but not out of our hands yet.

TomsMum likes this.
  8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

That’s great....small steps ...and the trust will develop.

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome, what a lovely pineapple, Young conures do nip but they hate being on there own and rather settle even if it is humans. it is early days and so far you may of turned him against the hand by picking him up. don't worry just keep trying to offer treats by using your hand to serve them. Ok you will need to find time that you can let him out and not worry how long he will be out, this is best done first thing before his first feed so he has to go back to his cage to get it. never feed him out side the cage and always offer treats when he go's back in. these birds love attention and they do calm a little as they get older.

Red_Stafford likes this.
  10. kay

kay Regular Member

Hi, my zippy was untamed when we got him last June, he’s a pineapple conure and took me ages but was so worth while. He was terrified every time I approached his cage even just to change food and water. Best advice I was given was to put his cage higher than you are, the highest you can get it within days of doing this he got more confident, I then use to just sit and read to him or talk and offer him treats through the bars, by September he got super friendly but even now unless I have my special zippy jumper on he won’t step up even though he wants to. He is so much fun though he is out all the time and always wants to know what you are up to. Constantly legging it along the back of the sofa and wants a fuss from me other trick I did to help this was to put a rope from his cage along the sofa so he would come down when he wants and finds his way back. He only flies when he gets startled but he’s pretty good at getting back to his cage now hope this helps xx

11. kay

kay Regular Member

12. kay

kay Regular Member

I forgot to say zippy nibbles a lot but he doesn’t bite hard, only times he does is when he gets so excited first thing in the morning when I walk in or when I get home. If he’s too hard I just put him back in until he’s calmed down a bit