New To Parrots

Geordie

Registered
Hi I have wanted a parrot for as long as I remember but circumstances just didn't allow due to long work hours and various commitments.
I now feel I have the time to care for a parrot and have been looking up about caring for one.I live in Northumberland and found a breeder not to far from me 50Miles, After finding this site I saw some not so nice things about this breeder that has me a little concerned about buying from them. Any advice on choosing a breeder and looking after an African grey is appreciated.
Thankyou for having me here I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask as a new potential owner.

Roz

I'm sure people will be along to help advise you about a breeder. I just want to say a big :welcome: to the forum! That is great that you waited until you have plenty of time for the bird. Looking after a parrot(s) does take up a LOT of time!! Ask away if you have any questions. We all love to help. :biggrin:

Geordie

Registered
Yes that is the breeder I was looking at Heather do you have any thoughts on them or had any dealings with this breeder?. Thanks for the welcome Roz .

Yes I got my first caique Archie from them
You've probably read my previous posts about them if you've been reading about them on here?

They charge an awful lot for an african grey though, dont they want like nearly a thousand pounds now.

Archie was an adult bird when I got him, this place said that he had bred Archie 18 months before, the couple had divorced and brought Archie back for him to rehome.
So this bloke says hes not tame, not sure if I would ever be able to tame him again and that hes 18 months old.

A week after I got him hes coming out of the cage and stepping up, very shortly after hes what people call "cuddly tame", snuggling into my neck and wanting scritches, so I thought that was a bit odd.
Now I dont know if he was 18 months or what his history is at all.
But when I picked him up he was in a small cage (why not in his original cage from his previous home?)
In a room piled with cages with parrots in, electus, african greys, lorikeets, quakers etc, when we walked in he said that all of those were sold.

Another thing that doesnt add up is I emailed them a month or so before getting Archie asking if they breed caiques and he said no, which is a bit strange to then advertise an 18month old caique he apparently bred a year and half ago, so I question where the babies come from and why they are kept in that room above a card shop (not on the same premises as any breeding birds or anything)
It was quite sad to see them there like that, I can only hope its true they were sold and would be going to their homes very soon, he didnt live there so its not like they had people there interacting with them or in a family environment like he claims.

I honestly dont know what the crack is with that business, he also gave us a bag of budgie seed and bag of sunflower seeds for Archies food. Well he was starving bless him, the budgie seed just wasnt enough, I bought some larger parrot seed for him and he loved it and was so excited when I gave him a slice of apple when we got home, took it straight out of my hand.

Geordie

Registered
Yes that's what I read And it doesn't fill me with confidence buying from them. It does sound like you managed to get the best out of your bird in a short time. Thankyou for sharing your experience of this seller, i think to be safe i will look further afield for a suitable bird. They are charging around £1200 for an African grey now.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi Geordie and welcome to the forum
The Parrot Society lists a lot of breeders that are on their register however remember anybody can register with them its not an endorsement by the society that they are an excellent breeder just a list so make sure if you find a breeder you hunt around for a recommendation off somebody.
Is your heart set on an African grey? Have you considered something like a blue fronted amazon? I have three greys and two different species amazons, my amazons are smarter and more playful than my greys (but tell them I said that!)

I will tag in two of our members and see if they know or have heard of any greys for sale.

@KEV H - do you know of any greys? Indeed do you have the old details of the breeder you purchased from in Beverley, East Yorkshire where you last purchased from?
@Graham - do you have any greys coming up for sale or know of any breeders selling?

TomsMum

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi Geordie and :welcome: to the forum.

Yes members offer mixed reviews about that breeder. i’m Unsure that they are breeders, or if they buy young birds to sell on.

Ensure that with your new African Grey you do get the correct CITES 1 A10 certification, as all African Greys, young and old require an A10 if being sold.

It is always best to visit the breeder, and if possible see the set up with parent bird’s, etc; although some do not allow this because of security. You will get the feel of whether the person knows their stuff regarding the parrots.

Good luck with your search.

Geordie

Registered
Wow Thankyou for the great info Dizzy that is very good of you to help in my search for a good breeder. Graham very nice of you to give me the contact thankyou. Some more great info Tom's mum and I will let you all know Diana how I get on looking for my bird and suitable cage/toys. Thankyou all again.

bikergirl Carol

Hi there is a breeder called Nikki Humphries Her birds are amazing. I know she has a baby looking for a new home. you can find her on facebook. just a thought have you thought of rehoming from a rescue. there are some wonderful birds looking for forever homes.

Geordie

Registered
Thanks Bikergirl I will look her up on FB I hadn't really thought of going down the re homing rout as i thought they may be troubled birds but i guess there could be all sorts of reasons they are being re homed. Food for thought

Top Bottom