1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Parrot At My Flock & Few Questions

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by brogax, Jun 9, 2019.

1. brogax

brogax Regular Member

OH MY GOD, i need to somehow stop !! haha, added another one, I'd say by an accident...

I wanted a Quaker prior to getting our naughty green cheek and today a opportunity came up and I took one in without hesitating at all,

(Their chatter/scream is actually a lot more irritating then IRN's) I never imagined that anyone can top IRN's screams but today I got convinced that there are worse sounds.

Our Quaker, 4 months old male was hand rearer ( unfortunately clipped wings) However I think its very recent because the he's trying to fly but it doesn't really work out well for him ;-(.... sadly I only find this out after visiting the bird otherwise wouldn't have visited as all of our birds are flying pretty much most of the day but after seeing him was too late to leave without the bird.

I have a question in regards to the parrot behaviour, it's been at least 8 hours since we took him he's not very keen on interractions and seems a bit shy and backing up from hands, also keeping big distance between our conure ( irn's not introduced yet ), whereby our conure was full of hapyness since literally coming out of the carrier bag, as I had bad experience with IRN's seller/breeder I just hope this one is truly tamed & was hand reared, I understand that birds need time to settle in and I am little inexperienced in that as IRN's were the first ones we had and they were completely opposite our conure.

The Quaker came out of a breeder who was selling all sort of birds and the little guy was friendly with an amazon but now seems scared of a conure.

How much time should we give him/ avoid interactions with him to settle in ? He was hand reared and as I mentioned the conure was full of hapyness and straight jumped on me out of the carrier and this is opposite, he looked for a place to hide as well I let him be now put his cage in a corner, he also started eating now

I'd like to sex all my birds just to know what gender they are, anyone can recommend a good place to do so ? how do you even pluck a feather out for the DNA testing ?

2. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Oh Gosh, 8 hours that really is not long, he needs time to settle and assess his surroundings, I would leave him in peace for at least a day or two or three or four...….., he is young and will come round in his own time.

So the parrot bug has got you? Do take care and not overload yourself, I myself feel I have just a little too many but would never part with one.

cazimodo, JessCheekyMia and brogax like this.
  3. mama_hill

mama_hill Regular Member

8 hours really isn't long enough to start introducing him to your other birds. It'll all be so overwhelming to him, no wonder he's backing away.
    Ideally, your new bird should be kept separate from your existing flock for 4 weeks.

cazimodo and brogax like this.
  4. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Well, the only interaction we had is getting him into the cage from the carrier and my green cheeck is very curious little bird, so Kiwi flew immediately to this cage to check out the new member although the interests died pretty quick for Kiwi, he's rather hanging out with humans.

and as mentioned, with conure he jumped out of carrier and it was a nightmare putting him in cage and stopping interractions, so this is new to me as well but I will refrain from interactions, I just want to ensure that he's truly tamed bird because I've been sold ''tame'' IRN's that took me forever to have some progress on bonding, I assume its the fact that they were 2 as well !

Yes, found myself really into wanting more birds and been convincing my friends that they're great pets also ( been wanting to go bigger but got very intimidated by umbrella's beak ) ! I am stoping for now, need to spend the quality time with birds also and I feel if I add more I wouldnt be able to do so

Kendra likes this.
  5. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

Have your birds all been disease tested prior to being introduced?

As has been mentioned the new bird should really be quarantined away from all existing birds for a good 4 weeks to give time for any potential illness to manifest and also give you time to get the little one to an avian vet for a checkup and blood work.

8 hours really is nothing in the grand scheme of things. My first Amazon took 6 months to settle in with us.
    Your new little one is going to be overwhelmed and potentially scared at the change of surroundings. I'd give them a couple of days of talking quietly to them and nice slow calm movements around the cage. Then try offering food through the bars and see how that goes.

JessCheekyMia, Kendra and brogax like this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I to be honest do not think this bird was hand reared, a hand reared bird will not need clipping and it is unfortunate that this method of controlling a bird is being used to fool people and make a sale, (unless you are in America as although thoughts on clipping are slowly changing it is still the normal practice) I can pick up a wild bird without it being able to bite me , put it on my arm and walk around with it on me, potemtial buyers are fooled by thinking wow its friendly when in fact the bird has no way of getting away if it wants too. Now is dose not mean you cannot get the bird to like you or trained, in fact once the bird has accepted you training can be a little eseyier because the bird has to rely on you more. i had mentioned in the other reply to you regarding the reputation of a Quaker, as a young bird there is no problem, you green cheek may be the biggest pain just by its nippy ways, you now have two specirs that both like to be dominant one in a flock and the other to an area. yes the green cheek can cause small injuries but the quaker as it gets older and with the possibility of flight could kill. they are certainly two species i would advice to keep seperate

JessCheekyMia, Kendra and brogax like this.
  7. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Seems like another bad experience indeed with the seller, should have been warned by the fact that the wings are clipped and he has no ring but was assured that he's a male, now it came to my mind that it wouldnt be possible to keep a track of birds without rings especially since he had more quakers ...

Anyways, in terms of taming him will it be equally hard as the IRN's would you think ?

I'm just quite annoyed how dumb I was to go ahead with this and the fact that I paid a lot more for this one to save some time on travelling as there was more variations and cheaper birds further down from London, once again seller doesn't respond to any questions after selling it so I think he just was keen on getting rid of the birds will refrain from buying any birds of breeders that are based in London, seems like most people do it for business rather then hobby too...

JessCheekyMia and Kendra like this.
  8. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

@brogax Do not be annoyed with yourself, regard this as a new exciting and interesting challenge. In 6 months/1 year you will probably wonder what all the fuss is about. He is young, just needs time and patience and you will find knowledgeable people on this site.

Could we have some photos please?

9. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hi @brogax you are not to blame so be kinder to yourself. Hand reared doesn't come with a guarentee anyway and they still need to build trust as you are new. Many people buy hand reared expecting it to be instantly handable and cuddley but the truth is they still need settling in and this period can take weeks, months or even years no matter hand reared or not.
    The difference is with hand reared is the parrot is reared by humans. So they are use to hands and home life, but I know people that have bought a hand reared and brought it home and the poor parrot is terrified of his or her new owners. This is normal as parrots scare easily to new thing's, that includes us humans.
    Your little feathered friend can be tamed with lots of time, patients and a whole lot of love. Each bird is different and this little one has not been with you long at all. I have quite a few parent reared birds and all of them but 2 now love good snuggle ups. It just takes a little longer that's all. I am sure you love this little one no matter what. On a plus side you have given him or her a nice home with you and in my opinion that is a good thing you have done . So you are most certainly NOT dumb :).

10. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

I think there's a big misconception about handreared birds.
    It does not mean that they will be tame and cuddly.

Some handreared birds are simply fed and put back in the brooder till next feeding.
    Some simply do not want to be around humans.

I have never sold a bird I have had to handrear I always keep them. Some of the ones I've reared are far happier in the aviary avoiding me than they are being anywhere near me. Yet some of the ones I have that were parents reared are all over me when I'm in with them.
    I much prefer to handle the chicks daily from 2 weeks of age and leave them with the parents. Not all parent birds let you do this but most of mine are bred by myself so the parents even try to brood me when I'm checking the chicks.

No matter what bird you get you are always going to have to build that bond up and learn about each other.

brogax, Kendra, Oli Fry and 5 others like this.
  11. Michael Reynolds

You saw the bird and loved it and thats the main thing, time pateints understanding and love is all you need to give.

12. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

In my opinion I don't like the process of hand rearing the chicks. The guy that hand reared Mia showed me. The cry from the mother when her chicks get taken from her after only her having a few weeks with them is awful. I find it a bit cruel. Unless they are abandoned, orphaned or have a medical problem I think leave well alone. How would you feel if your baby is taken away is what I always think to myself. On the other hand it is good that some raise them in homes which will be easier for them to adjust when getting homed. But mine that are parent reared adjusted the same as my hand reared. I am soon getting a little tiel. The lady took them out of the nest and is hand rearing them. They are from my late Cheeky's parents so I definitely wanted one no matter what. But the lady likes hand rearing them and thats her choice but I wouldn't go looking for a hand reared bird. I know from my experience that you can gain a lot of yrust and is far nore rewarding when you have done it yourself

brogax, CaptainHowdy, Kendra and 2 others like this.
  13. Michael Reynolds

I agree Jess it is more rewarding when the bird chosses to like you even if it takes that little longer

brogax, Kendra, Oli Fry and 2 others like this.
  14. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

I couldn't agree more. I hope the routine 'pulling' of chicks is soon confined to history. Birds are birds and should be appreciated as such, I think. Gaining their confidence over time is a pleasure and not a chore.

15. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Yes I agree, I messaged the seller to follow up and ask some other questions about the bird as he was in a rush ( seemingly willing to get rid of his birds asap )

I don't think he was handled at all nor he was hand reared, he said that he showed me that the bird was tame but only things he showed me is a bird perching on finger with no way of escaping due to clipped wings which is quite sad.

I've been with the bird at least 4 hours a day trying to make any progress and I don't understand him at all..

When i'm around he's constantly puffing up his feathers at me and also has a EXTREME EXTREME annoying chirping, I have no idea how to explain but its like a rattle snake !!!

I think this is end of me adding new parrots and also I think I've been extrmely lucky with the conure, he/she is so lovely loves cuddling and was instantly full of charms and willing to cooperate haha, tho I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the little cheeky conure, Kiwi does not want any training he just wants cuddles and to be outside of the cage ( cage is still a massive no no for him ) I think i've been so lucky with the bird never ever did he even poop outside the cage...

Any tips on taming this quaker ? I wasn't ready for new process of 1 year taming birds perhaps it took me a little longer with ringnecks due to their bond and as they were 2 but this quaker seems frightened of people I've let him calm down and he seems doing all his daily stuff well now except for being around people he does not accept food from hands nor eats if anyone is near the cage as soon as you move further down he will go to his fresh fruits or seeds

This is the quaker, yet unnamed I've been trying to make him comfortable and make even a tiny progress with him being more comfortable around people with no luck....

upload_2019-6-13_21-53-58.png upload_2019-6-13_21-54-49.png

BUT THE CHIRPING IS KILLING ME, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CHIRP I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD A PARROT CHIRPING/Screaming/talking this way!
    this is how he talks/screams right now if I leave him until I comeback, sometimes he does it near me as well but keeps his vocals well shown when I'm leaving the room where he is in ( not as extreme as in the video and he shows no movements like that as well, i assume these 2 are waiting to be fed ) :D

16. Michael Reynolds

that chirp is not one of stress, the bird wants some thing the question is what? well let first look at the experiance this bird has gonr through, humans have held him and cut his feathers, this happened out side of a cage, the human he first new got him out the cage to give him away, it may be that being out the cage has given him bad experiancirs so he dose not want to leave. the first thing i would do is get toys on the outside of his cage and make the outside more interesting. the cage door i would leave open while i am arround. Four hours a day is too long in training, step back , you do not want training sessions to last more than 15 minutes at a time thee or four training sessions a day. i know what i would do in training this bird, I will call in @Roz for her advice

Oli Fry likes this.
  17. Roz

Roz Regular Member

I've emailed the video to a friend who has and loves Quakers to see if she can shed any more light on the sound. I am wondering if your little one is eating well? Some birds regress to begging for food when they move home. So personally I am wondering if he is hungry/regressing a little.

As has been said "hand reared" can mean many things including being gavage fed for quickness and convenience. He may have been hand fed, but not socialized which takes a lot more time.

If he is shy of you or hands leave him be for the moment. Concentrate on looking for things he likes so that you can reinforce behaviour you want to see. Note what he chooses to pick out of the food bowl first - these will be his favourite items. You could then either drop these into his food bowl as you pass his cage, or if it is something like apple, wedge a piece through the bars of his cage, then get slower and slower at wedging so he eventually eats whilst you are still holding it. Then you could make the piece smaller and smaller to get him progressively used to your hands. You can try this with a piece of millet spray too. Offer him a long piece to start with and then make the offered piece shorter and shorter over the days (assuming he likes millet!). Notice what toys he likes - if he likes to destroy soft balsa wood, try offering him a piece. Just slowly, slowly get him used to you.

Is that his cage in the pic or a travel cage? I would change the dowel for some natural branches which will be much healthier for his feet and add some toys. Have a look at the Natural Bird Product Company. They sell beautiful toys and natural perches. I get all my toy parts from them too, like the soft balsa wood:

https://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/ourshop/

How sad his wings have been clipped.

Oli Fry, Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  18. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Yeah if you gather some nice willow, hazel, elder or fruit tree branches for him he'll be much happier as he can munch them up. If you make his immediate surroundings more interesting he'll start to chill out a bit, hopefully!!

It occurred to me that if he's previously been housed with other Quakers he might be missing his old mates and calling for them.

Roz and brogax like this.
  19. brogax

brogax Regular Member

This cage was just used to transfer him home from the breeder, he didn't want to leave so I kept him in there for a few days until he decided to leave this one by himself to the normal one
    He's eating, munching on apples but if I look at him he immediately stops and moves away so its not that easy to keep a track of what he likes...

I've rolled his cage near my computer desk with thinking that this would help him to get used to being around me but he kept puffing up and doing the extremely annoying chirping every 5 seconds or so it is quiet chirps compared to the video and he's not sitting in a corner, when IRN's were equally scared of people as wild birds they were constantly moving away from me into corners but this guy, i don't understand at all

what I noticed he very often turns his back on me, puffs up and does the weird chirp every 3-5 seconds or so...

Any experience with clipped wings? I've never ever have done this to my birds but queried once as I heard people talking about this that sometimes this is useful for birds safety to prevent accidents tough never went into it as I let my birds fly around except the conure and irn's the ringnecks can't stand the conure... conure appreciates people more as well

but, if his wings were clipped 4 weeks ago prior to selling the bird would it be normal that he's trying to fly still ? Whilst trying to let him self move through the cage he tried to fly off from the cage I used as a carrier to the table and thank god that there was a blanket nearby him as he managed to get to the blanket and grab on it but he still tries to fly from time to time in the cage as well

Anyway, yes ended up with a bigger commitment then expected was spoiled with the immediately super tame conure, probably as I still hand fed her the formula she/he became so attached

20. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hi brogax - just wanted to let you know what my American friend said:

The scream in the video is NOT what mine do. It’s an illustration of quaking, which they do when extremely distressed, alarmed, scared. When I looked into the neighbors’ cat crate to see Sage for the first time 14 yrs ago, he was quaking, but silently. That’s the only time I’ve seen mine do that.

So, my advice is that your contact do his best to comfort his new bebe, w/o any concern that he might “spoil” him into thinking he’ll always hover so closely all his life. He’s too hysterical to think now and just needs reassurance that he’s safe. He might try covering all but the front of his cage so he has a little cave to feel safer in, yet can still see him. If he’s still doing this only when he’s outta sight, that’s much better than if he did it when he approaches.

He might try finding a whistle or phrase that he likes to use as a comfort signal when he’s outta sight. I’m forever telling mine “I’ll be right back” and “You’re okay.” And I make lotsa whistling sounds so they can get a fix on where I am in the house or yard.

So I am guessing your new addition will stop making the sound when he is feeling safer.