1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tilly 4, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

Hi my name is Tilly 4, I bought an African grey just before xmas have always wanted a parrot. Her name is Rosey shes a year old and is very cheeky. I have joined here because I need advice and I am hoping I can ask. Regards Tilly

dianaT likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Tilly and Rosey. Is Rosey your first parrot?
    Quite a lot of members live with Greys and I am sure will be happy to help with any question you may have. Also can we have a photo of her please as we do love photos.:thumbsup:

3. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

:welcome: Tilly and Rosey.

4. Zooamazons

Zooamazons Regular Member

Welcome Tilly.

Andrew

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello Tilly and Rosey I have six greys living with me but you will find we are all willing to help and advice by giving our experience's

6. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Welcome I'm a few weeks in with my baby grey luna my first big bird. You will find all the help and advice you need on here everyone is so helpful.

7. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

Yes my first parrot and I am totally in love with her. I will put a photo of her on here very soon:budgie:

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  8. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

Thank you everyone x

9. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Tilly and Rosey! How exciting!! Can't wait to hear more about her... and see the photos! :biggrin:

10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

The most important things when taking on a feathered friend is understanding the dangers in the home there are posts on all aspects of care for your new grey but please ask questions no matter how silly you may think they are as sometimes the small things are the ones that make us worry most

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  11. Bob

Bob Bird Whisperer Staff Member Admin

Hey Tilly :welcome:

12. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Tilly and Rosey :welcome: to the forum.
    You’ll find loads of info in the sections under the Caring for feathered friends part of the forum...and if there’s anything you’re not sure about, just ask.

13. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

Thank you so much for replying to my post. This is probably silly to worry about but previous owner said she eats fruit I have tried every fruit you can buy fresh and dried but she wont touch any of it she eats really well other than fruit and veg. I give her pets at home parrot food and extra monkey nuts is this ok. Appreciate any advice.

14. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Hi Tilly that's not the best diet, it's really hard to get a parrot to eat a good diet if they aren't use to it but I'm sure if your prepared to put in the work you can win in the end. There is some really good info about food on here I'm sure someone will link you to it.

15. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

I found Dusky Grey would eat fruit if I was eating it and gave him some, he was 18 when he came to me and always been on a seed diet, his favourite at the time were green grapes, but he has gone off them these days, 2.5 years later. He has settled into a reasonable fruit and veg diet with his nuts and quality seed mix, watch the sunflower seeds and peanuts, they will live on them if allowed, I stopped his altogether for a while.

16. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

HI thank you I will have a look just want a happy healthy parrot.

17. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

Think I will get another dish and just put fresh fruit in every day need to be patient me thinks.

18. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

You really should change the seed mix, the pets at home parrot mix is rubbish

You shouldn't really give monkey nuts, but there are loads of other good nuts, walnuts, pistachios, almonds

Also that seed mix is full of sunflower seeds and you don't want to be feeding too many of those either

Have a look online at the seed mixes on Scarlett's parrot essentials, Northern parrots or Garden feathers

19. Tilly 4

Tilly 4 Registered

I do give her pistachios, walnuts, almonds and dried apricots which she eats. Will most certainly change her seed now,

dianaT likes this.