1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ross, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ross

Ross Regular Member Registered

Hi all,

New member on the board!

We (myself, my wife Holly and our 2 girls aged 5 and 8) are picking up our conure chick next week.

Being first time bird owners we are very excited, and a little apprehensive!

Looking forward to getting lots of help and advice in the weeks and months ahead!

Ross

dianaT likes this.
  2. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Hi Ross and :welcome: to the forum. Glad to have you on board. You have come to a good place for asking all the questions you want.

We always try to give good advice here. Take a look around and fire away with those questions.

It will be a good idea to find out how to post photos on the forum as we love to see plenty of them, LOL.

Ross likes this.
  3. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Welcome xx

Ross likes this.
  4. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Hello you have come to the best place for advise everyone is great.

Ross likes this.
  5. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hello and :welcome: :)

Ross likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hi Ross and welcome its exciting times ahead

Ross likes this.
  7. Zooamazons

Zooamazons Regular Member

Welcome Ross.

Andrew

Ross likes this.
  8. Ross

Well...... he has arrived! Picked Kiwi up yesterday afternoon. Took him straight to the vets for a wellness check on the way home to save having to take him out again in the next few weeks.

The vet was very impressed with him and gave him a clean bill of health! He seemed very relaxed and was happy preening himself in his travel cage whilst we were chatting.
    Was also very calm when the vet took him out to check him over. Listened to his heart, air sacks and breathing. All good!

Once home we transferred him to his new cage and he seemed to settle quickly, within an hour he was having a drink and nibbling on some seed mix. Loved a slice of apple also!

All was quiet overnight, we had partially covered his cage overnight, and gradually woke him up at around 7am this morning. Had a stretch and a flutter and straight over to the food bowl for breakfast!

Will upload some pics when I have a few good ones.

TomsMum likes this.
  9. Ross

Here is Kiwi:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael Reynolds, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  10. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Kiwi you are just gorgeous x

Ross likes this.
  11. Ross

Evening all!

We had some great progress tonight!

We opened the cage door and I just left my arm next to it on the arm of the sofa holding a couple of peas.

Sure enough, Kiwi made a jump from the cage to my arm through the open door! Awesome!

He is happily eating peas, nutripellets, fruit, etc. from our hands.

He went from my arm to my hand, then jumped onto my glasses and then up onto my head! I managed to get him back onto my hand and pass him to my wife who was sitting next to me!
    From there, he fluttered up to my wife’s head as well.

However, in between all of this awesomeness, he does like to try and have a nibble of finger!!!

What is the best way to discourage this?

All in all a great day!

Wakizashi21 and TomsMum like this.
  12. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

My he's cute, sounds like he's happy with his new home and all the new foods to try. Regards to finger nipping just don't reward the behaviour but I would wait until a more experienced member can give you some advice on that one. Thanks for Keeping us updated and pics are always a bouns

Ross likes this.
  13. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ross likes this.
  14. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Conures are nippy... I've got mine to give kisses instead of nips around 90% of the time, but she does still chomp down sometimes, it's like she can't help herself.. She just seems to love the feeling of skin (and fabric, and everything else she can reach) in her beak.

JessCheekyMia and TomsMum like this.
  15. Ross

It looked like Kiwi gave himself a bath in one of his water bowls earlier whilst I was out.

How often should I offer a proper bath to him? Should we use a a dish with water in, or should I mist him with a spray?

:budgie:

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  16. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

Awww beautiful piks! Love it! A stunner. Thats some really good progress and a positive start. Hope everything keeps going well! Keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

17. Nik

Nik Regular Member Registered

Hello from e too, we are the newbies team :p ;), that bird is absolutely goergious! All of those colours blending in more colours, pretty-pretty fab... :)

Ross likes this.
  18. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi and welcome! Looks like Kiwi has chosen the dish method. Is it possible to put an extra dish of the floor of the cage which is a little bigger than his water dish? You may find in time that there is a certain time that is favoured to bathe? Try a spray a little way down the line as you don't want to scare as things are going good. If it aint broke don't fix it LOL.

Ross likes this.
  19. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Introducing the new budgies today to the bird room as the results are all clear from feather and poop tests (I do not take blood from budgies) and hopefully will get the tests back from the parrolets and my yellow sided this week. then I will get a name for the all. my yellow sided conure is still frightened of me but I have not had much interaction yet so I am sure once the tests come through I will start with his training. I love your photos and I am pleased to see and hear of Kiwi's progress

20. Ross

Hey all, sorry for the lack of posts! Been busy!

Kiwi is doing really well. He loves cuddles of an evening, happily lets me lay him on his back in my hands and rub his tummy, etc.

He has the odd strop which is quite funny! But generally he's doing brilliantly! Will post some more pics soon.

Ross