New Member Lisa Sand

dianaT

Staff member
I have copied this from the chat box for Lisa and hope some members with IRNs etc can advise:
Also maybe Roz can give advice @Roz

' My parrot Bonny has a cage but I don't lock her in I let her roam the front room (it's very safe) but she's still very timid and won't let me near her so I can't hand feed her and get her to step up . @Lisa Sand '

Last edited:
Sounds like mine although he steps up on a stick. But scared of my hands.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Lisa, :welcome: to the forum.

I am sure you will be able to get the help you need on here. I have 2 Senegals, both re homes and Roxy still does not step up but like @Paulmandy bird he will step up on to a stick. In fact he has only just started to take food from me and that is after 2 years. Just work out her fav food and keep it near you. Never put it in her cage. In the end I think she will not be able to resist it and come to you for a treat. How long have you had Bonny? There are better experts on here than me so I will let them give you better advice.

I hope you and you're bird will bond soon so you can teach her step ups and all kinds of tricks ! I would recommend using the clicker training. I made good progression with this method in my flock although i prefer not to have them all tame as i would be a perching-taxi-tree ;) its very easy and no problem for most birds. Even the most active or insecure birds will learn to come closer with this. At the moment i work with an 31-year old grey and even he makes progress ! No more bites yay !

I hope you and you're bird will bond soon so you can teach her step ups and all kinds of tricks ! I would recommend using the clicker training. I made good progression with this method in my flock although i prefer not to have them all tame as i would be a perching-taxi-tree ;) its very easy and no problem for most birds. Even the most active or insecure birds will learn to come closer with this. At the moment i work with an 31-year old grey and even he makes progress ! No more bites yay !
Thank you everyone for your replies.
We've only had Bonny 2 months which is a short amount of time I know . We bought her from a responsible owner who was going into hospital and couldn't look after her and his Africa grey (which he kept). We think Bonny is 9months old but really can't be sure.
We made progress today I think she said HELLO twice but maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.
She sits on her perch with the cage open and she sleeps outside her cage hanging on the side bars .
She seems very happy with this arrangement.
I will hold her monkey nuts back see if that helps.
Ps she's not been clipped as I'm not sure enough about the clipping process and if it helps or hinders.
Lisa and Bonny

I hope everything goes well for you then :) I don't clip the wings of my birds either and thats fine. I keep my birds in a bird room if not in an aviary so if they can stretch their wings and get from one place to another gives me more breaks :p In the end, as long as both of you are happy and the clipping is done correctly (let a vet help you if you want to) then there is nothing wrong with it, my opinion. I still wouldn't do it though as my parrots are very happy to fly around ! You can also see more natural behavior like this :)

I hope everything goes well for you then :) I don't clip the wings of my birds either and thats fine. I keep my birds in a bird room if not in an aviary so if they can stretch their wings and get from one place to another gives me more breaks :p In the end, as long as both of you are happy and the clipping is done correctly (let a vet help you if you want to) then there is nothing wrong with it, my opinion. I still wouldn't do it though as my parrots are very happy to fly around ! You can also see more natural behavior like this :)
Thank you for your reply.
She is playing with her toys and eating well , she has settled in very well so maybe I'm just being a bit impatient.
Il let her go at her own pace.
She is more comical everyday and she watches every move I make , even eating when I eat .

Parrots love when you eat food :p my green ringneck will come flying and will try to steal it right out of my hand ! And if she comes you can be sure the other 5 will follow soon ...
What a beautiful bird by the way ! Love her already !!! So pretty as well ! :emoji_bird:

She is a beautiful bird and should be left that way, I do not clip and in fact view it as cruel. She was born with wings for a purpose, take them away and you take away her movement, do untold damage physically and psychologically.

That is my opinion
and, by the way, I have 8 birds living with me.

Welcome to you and Bonny from me Chewy, Maddie and Peanut :)
Most here share Kendras view on clipping. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but the vast majority here do consider that it harms a bird psychologically and physically to be deprived of flight in this way. I'm glad you havn't rushed into having it done as I know it would sabotage the trust she is building with you at such an early stage :)

Hi @Lisa Sand You are dead right clipping hinders most definitely, your beautiful little bird is meant to fly so I hope you do not have this done.

We have decided not to get her clipped , birds have wings for a reason and we like watching her fly around.
Thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Kim
Such good news Lisa, thank you for letting us know. and do keep us up to date on her progress, she is a pretty birdie x

What a beauty Bonnie is, I love her white feathers. We have several people with ringnecks on here so you are in good company.

Hi and welcome to the forum Lisa do hope you enjoy your stay with us . From Shirley ' Scooby Doo xxx ' Jasper Parrot ' Radar Tom .[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom