1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member Carole

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carole, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Carole

Carole Regular Member Registered

Hi I am Carole a new member we have been keeping Australian finches for 35 years but have now purchased a beautiful pair of Australian king parrots which we have in a large avairy planted with eucalyptus which they seem to love climbing around in does any one here keep king please

2. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Hi Carole, welcome aboard! There are a few finch keepers on the forum, so if you want to say anything further about them it will probably be appreciated. Regarding the king parrots, @Michael Reynolds should know a thing or two, so I've tagged him in.

Did you have any other parrots/parrot experience, or are the kings your first? They're actually a species I find very attractive, and I've considered getting one or two myself in the future (along with some of the similar Australian species such as the Prince of Wales and Barraband), but unfortunately these are all very difficult and expensive birds to obtain where I live, so it probably won't be happening any time soon!

3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome Carol I love the Australian finches and I am thinking of getting them to live back with my flock. I have a few that are at an old peoples home as part of a thing I do called companion birds for the elderly. The King Parrot is a very Special bird and I just love them. Are you thinking of breeding your pair. they are in my opinion one of the most underestimated birds for the home and one of the best birds I know for a family with young children. they can become great talkers and a hand reared bird is so loyal. I have found that they stay healthy if a sprinkle of charcoal in there food twice a week is added. this is owing to there life style in the wild and that they love and normally one of the first birds to follow the fires and look for new shoots growing. give them sprouted feed. green feeds should be fifty five per cent of there diet if you intend to breed then you will have to provide a long box either set at a slight angle or a large L shaped nest box. I will never be without a king parrot in my flock.

4. Michael Reynolds

Mine went on eggs at the end of February but I have known a friend pair too breed twice in a year with a set last october

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Carole
    Welcome to the forum from me and my flock :)

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Carole

7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Hi Carole :welcome: from me, Roo and Lou. :)

8. Carole

We have kept greys Amazon’s galahs in the past but first time for kings I can give help on Australian finches as we have kept most sorts

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  9. Michael Reynolds

I will love to see photos of your flock. Having many species myself and one day I will love a Galah in my flock I have a gsc2 and a lsc2 plus a sulphur and a umbrella living with me at the moment plus four amazons and six greys, and a number of conures and Australian and African parrots and parrakeets.

10. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

hi Carole and :welcome: to the forum

11. Carole

I no longer have galahs or greys or Amazon’s as we had to move house to a smaller garden but now have king parrots

12. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

13. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Welcome from me and the birds.

14. Carole

Thank you

15. Zooamazons

Zooamazons Regular Member

Welcome Carole.

Andrew

16. Carole

Thank you

Zooamazons likes this.
  17. Carole

Thanks

18. Michael Reynolds

Can you send some photos of your finches? I will be getting some more myself later in the year or just after winter.