new member buying from shop

Michael Reynolds

Hello and welcome @Imke I have not herd of Sky birds is this a shop near you? one thing I will advice is not to buy a bird that has had it's wings clipped, hopefully other members will be along to give advice

CaptainHowdy

I would advise you Google their reviews, they aren't the best.
Also ask them in writing if they disease test all their birds for psittacosis and pbfd as a minimum. Going on their website they keep a whole range of animals and not just birds.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hmmmm quick flick through companies house and it seems sky birds owner worked for sky pet products which is the owners of liberta cages.
So likelihood is not an "unknown" person to us in someway.

CaptainHowdy

Hmmmm quick flick through companies house and it seems sky birds owner worked for sky pet products which is the owners of liberta cages.
So likelihood is not an "unknown" person to us in someway.
I thought there was a link as the pictures on the website are very familiar but I couldn't match them. This makes sense now!

JackAndRob

Some breeders/suppliers think that it makes the birds more manageable - they can't fly off when you try to restrain them. They also believe it makes them more dependent in their owners/carers and help the pairing/bonding process. It can traumatise the birds as they cannot follow their natural instinct to fly, and even worse, permanently affect their ability to fly.

Birds should only have their flight feathers clipped when an avian vet recommends it for certain conditions e.g. where flying or attempting to fly is a serious risk to their health. These conditions will be rare, and usually only a temporary measure.

Michael Reynolds

birds are born to fly, there bodies are adapted for this purpose and so is there minds, by clipping wings this can affect a bird in many ways, its health as muscles are not being used, they can become over weight owing to the goodness they will normally use is not needed, you will take away one of your birds natural defenses the ability's to escape danger. if you bird had its wings clipped from a young age it may never learn to fly again or if it dose its flying capabilities may not be so skilled and cause your bird to have accidents especially as it try's to land. its chance of surviving if it did get blown away while out side is very low (just because the wings are clipped it dose not mean a bird cannot fly, a strong wind will blow them away as they are so lite ) the biggest problem is how clipping can affect a bird mentally. one of the main reasons you see birds with bald patches or plucked is owing to being clipped when they was young. if you buy a bird you will want it to want to be close to you and not have to be close to you because it has too. you do not want a bird to rely on you because it has too, you do not want your bird to have bad experiences with humans, yes there mental health is the biggest problem once a bird has been clipped and this alone is the most heartbreaking for me to see with birds I have helped and tried to help.

Top Bottom