New flock member

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Hi incase you didnt see my pictures of Ollie here is some more ๐Ÿ˜‚ He is a 13 year old congo african grey and I am his 4th home I think through no fault of his own. Soon as he was out his travel cage he stepped up onto me and has flown onto me to watch me play guitar. I wasnt expecting him to be so trusting with me. We've even done some clicker training and he responded extremely well to it. My parrotlets are very interested in him but not letting them out at the same time just incase. Id like to spend more time working with Ollie and getting to know his body language a bit better before id ever consider it. Parrotlets are flying back and fourth their cage though and clearly want to come out to see whats going on. Im very happy though. Hes so funny especially his little glasweigian accent ๐Ÿคฃ IMG_20200729_203713_compress91.jpg

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
He looks fantastic and it sounds like he is a very sociable chap. You've going to have a wonderful time together :)
Hes slightly plucked but hes been moved around a lot and its started to grow back in. Its mostly just his tail feathers. Our conversation at bedtime was
Ollie: Go to bed
Ollie: Love you
Me: Love you too
Ollie: Shut up you (angry glaswegian tone)
:pancarta:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
He's beautiful
I wouldn't allow the parrotlets out at the same time ever birds are a neck of a lot faster in reaction time than we ever will be. Even birdies that have been together for a very long time can have a momentary lapse. I never allow my amazons out at the same time as my Grey's as Amazon's are way more powerful and I would never forgive myself if something happened just because I wished to be selfish and have them all out together, plus it also gives me individual time with each of them

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
He's beautiful
I wouldn't allow the parrotlets out at the same time ever birds are a neck of a lot faster in reaction time than we ever will be. Even birdies that have been together for a very long time can have a momentary lapse. I never allow my amazons out at the same time as my Grey's as Amazon's are way more powerful and I would never forgive myself if something happened just because I wished to be selfish and have them all out together, plus it also gives me individual time with each of them
Yeah I didnt think it would ever really be an option just because id be scared they get hurt but ill probably keep them in the cage to eat breakfast as my parrotlets and Ollie are eating at the same time like flock mates already. Then let my parrotlets out in the living room and take Ollie through to my room with his cage and then go between the two so they get equal amount of time. My parrotlets dont interact with me but id still like to spend time in the room with them. Ollie goes in his cage no problem but my parrotlets dont go in so easily which would make taking them out for a bit then putting them in and taking Ollie out quite difficult as they will probably avoid going in and then Ollie will be upset about not getting his time ๐Ÿค”

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
You could do it the other way around after Ollie has his time out and goes back in for his tea with special snacks in it the little dudes could come out just remember out put a cover on top of his cage to protect toes if the little ones land on top of his cage. Plus the little ones seeing Ollie interact with you birds learn from each other so they may decide your a flock member to play with too.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
You could do it the other way around after Ollie has his time out and goes back in for his tea with special snacks in it the little dudes could come out just remember out put a cover on top of his cage to protect toes if the little ones land on top of his cage. Plus the little ones seeing Ollie interact with you birds learn from each other so they may decide your a flock member to play with too.
The only thing with Ollie is that he says "go to bed" to be put in his cage in the evening and he's used to that so I didnt want to change things up too much but I will try it and hopefully he doesnt get upset about going in earlier and yeah we were discussing the fact they might land on his cage yesterday so ive put a cover just on the top part. I actually thought they'd be way too terrified to do that but they seem less scared of him than I expected. Ollie is territorial of his cage so chances are he would go for their toes. My parrotlets used to go to their cage no problem at night but since i put the swing stand up they prefer sleeping up there so its a hit or miss whether I can get them to go to their cage. They step up onto a towel no problem but then they sometimes fly off while im carrying them to their cage and go back to the stand ๐Ÿค” they get fed on the stand but they've gone in for food before so I could always try that if I was to have them out first. Ill try how you suggested though. Ollie apparently isnt a big eater but he ate quite a lot yesterday so Im sure some food will persuade him! Just waiting to hear Ollie's dulcet tones from the living room to let me know hes awake ๐Ÿ˜… sure ill be in for another day of mass newspaper shredding :pancarta:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
In my household little Henni calls the shots .....
As she totally hates birds and doesn't seem to think she is one and goes straight into KILL mode and she is hyper clingy she comes out before everybody as well as with the other two greys (they can fly she can't) and then when the others go to bed she comes out again for a snuggle in front of the telly. The others just accept she's errr lets just say different :copas:

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
He seams to have settled in well, I hope he will learn that he will not be moved again and this is his forever home
Me too, he deserves to be happy! They had 2 other african greys at his foster which were permanently with them and one of them had plucked so much it wouldnt grow back in and whatever abuse he had gone through resulted in him not being able to make any noises except from a tiny squeak. It was heartbreaking. Luckily Ollie was never abused. He had a vitamin A and calcium deficiency which caused a problem with his foot and one of his past owners stroked him on his body which turned him against other family members. He also saw a pet behaviourist before too because he made a very loud noise almost constantly but all of this stuff has been taken care of, he was at the vet recently and was given the all clear and he just seems like he wants to be loved. I got told it may take a while for him to trust me so I was surprised when he stepped up so easily. He did actually used to prefer men but bonded with his fosters daughter and because im on my own im not competing so hes stuck with me ๐Ÿ˜‚ He loves a yap and he does make the occasional loud noise but nothing that you wouldn't expect!

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
In my household little Henni calls the shots .....
As she totally hates birds and doesn't seem to think she is one and goes straight into KILL mode and she is hyper clingy she comes out before everybody as well as with the other two greys (they can fly she can't) and then when the others go to bed she comes out again for a snuggle in front of the telly. The others just accept she's errr lets just say different :copas:
:pancarta:
Ill be interested to see if it has an affect on my relationship with my parrotlets because before they really couldn't care less about me๐Ÿ˜‚ love them and spoil them with delicious food and loads of fun toys but still have not won them over. Pan is more brave than Leche and interacts with me more but they are always together and as soon as Leche flies off, Pan goes with so its difficult to do anything with them.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
IMG_20200730_100130_827_compress56.jpg

Such a good boy. Being a bit territorial about his cage and not wanting to step up off of the top of it. Instead he hisses at me but they said he might be like that to begin with. We are doing some clicker training again though and he likes to chill on my shoulder

Kendra

My Dusky CAG, took 2 years to calm down, he hardly spoke. Now he chatters away and loves his night time chats at bed time. He was 18 when he came to me and had only 1 male keeper from birth, so the change from male to female did not go down too well. He still does not sit on me or come onto me but we seem to have reached an amical agreement. He came from Aberdeen, but no Scottish accent. Tommy also came from near there and she is very, very Scottish (BFA). He was never given a toy in his 18 years, he loves now chews vinyl, costs fortune.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
My Dusky CAG, took 2 years to calm down, he hardly spoke. Now he chatters away and loves his night time chats at bed time. He was 18 when he came to me and had only 1 male keeper from birth, so the change from male to female did not go down too well. He still does not sit on me or come onto me but we seem to have reached an amical agreement. He came from Aberdeen, but no Scottish accent. Tommy also came from near there and she is very, very Scottish (BFA). He was never given a toy in his 18 years, he loves now chews vinyl, costs fortune.
I wasnt expecting him to adjust so quickly or to be able to do any kind of training with him so soon. He has bitten me once when he was still at his foster but he was on the sofa next to me shredding newspaper and i was holding part of it and i wasnt really looking because they were talking to me and he bit my hand but ive had worse bites from my parrotlet. I know hes capable of worse if he was really trying so wasnt a big deal. Hes been on my shoulder a lot today just chilling out and napping. We took a video call with a friend earlier and he was just speaking a load of gibberish for the sake of getting involved ๐Ÿ˜‚ Hes a bit of a picky eater sometimes but we will work on it and see how we go. Apart from that though we've had no issues. He does love to shred things but I just give him a box of newspaper. Hes very talkative and does say some swear words so trying to encourage good things and ignoring the bad. Im from aberdeen but i have an american accent so be funny to hear how he changes when he learns things from me. My parrotlets and I have the same kind of agreement! Ive had them a year now. Ollie ive had for a day and he will fly over onto my knee when Im playing my guitar. Its a shame that your CAG was never given any toys. My parrotlets were the same and have only just started to get into shredding toys and they love their swing stand. Ollie doesnt like it because it moves when hes on it ๐Ÿ˜‚

JackAndRob

Staff member
He looks gorgeous. To add to what Michael says (and for the same reason), please be careful with him near your face. He is an unknown quantity at the moment, while he gets used to you and his new environment. Perhaps allow him to settle in more, get to know him a bit better, and gradually allow him closer to you. There's no rush. He'll be with you for decades :)

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
He looks gorgeous. To add to what Michael says (and for the same reason), please be careful with him near your face. He is an unknown quantity at the moment, while he gets used to you and his new environment. Perhaps allow him to settle in more, get to know him a bit better, and gradually allow him closer to you. There's no rush. He'll be with you for decades :)
It honestly wasnt my intention. I didnt want him so close to my face ๐Ÿ˜‚ he stepped up onto me and climbed up and then when i tried to get him off he climbed behind my head and down my back. I didnt want to push him to get off incase he lashed out and bit my face. Been working on his step up and trying to get him to stay put instead of climbing up

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
IMG_20200731_190731_compress7.jpg
African grey or bat?

Taught Ollie to turn around, started last night and today hes pretty much nailed it! He likes to make the click noise of the clicker himself because he knows hes a good boy and he wants a treat ๐Ÿ˜‚ Just some one on one training to help us bond. My living room was covered in newspaper, tissue paper, cardboard boxes, little bits of coloured shredding paper... Absolute carnage! ๐Ÿคฃ I was sitting next to him on the floor and he started digging at the floor under my legs for a bit which was funny.

So far my parrotlets have moved to the side of their cage closest to him and Ollie has gone down the outside of his cage to say "Hello" to them. As seen below

IMG_20200731_163318_compress57.jpg
He likes a good yap... Hes especially funny on video calls with people because he starts speaking glaswegian gibberish just to involve himself and then laughs hysterically which makes me laugh ๐Ÿคฃ

He helped me make some chop today once i had all the cooking out of the way so it was safe for him. He really likes raw broccoli and he had a little bit of kiwi too which he loved.

IMG_20200731_120847_compress92.jpg
I was up early to get to the post office to pick up his uv light... Opened the box and soon found out it had no bulb with it ๐Ÿ˜‘ so i will have to order one. I just ordered some more toys for him to play with and a natural wood perch too as some of his perches were quite tired looking... Just like me after a busy day today! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hoping to get some good videos of him soon so I can share them with you all. He tends to start yapping away as soon as i stopped recording!

Top Bottom