New Cockatiel And Veg

angel_uk

Registered
So Odie has been with us for 2 weeks now. At first he was munching on his veg daily.i was so happy with him enjoying his chop vitamins. Well he now isn't bothered at all. Seems to not touch it. I try to offer it first before seed and sprinkle some millet on it but he doesn't seem to be bothered with what he loved before.
Any tips?

Sprout Millet they love the millet and the sprouting shoots, it may get him to like the other greens you give him, its the wrong time of year to offer grasses that are seeding or dandelion leaves.

It might be that his preference is for the seeds and if you put only seeds in his bowel he may go for them only. Could be an idea to only put chop and what else was his favs before and he may feel that he has to eat them again. Of course, keep an eye on him but I would imagine he will eat the food in his bowel.

My tiels love to have access to Florettes crispy salad I find this one is a particular favourite with them all

@angel_uk remember they are a member of the cockatoo family (I call them mini Too's lol) and being only little what you thing is a tiny nibble to them can actually be a large quantity. Try a nibble of apple and if your eating … show your eating make lots of yummy noises and share :) works great for encouraging them to have a try of new stuff.

... I try to offer it first before seed and sprinkle some millet on it...

Always offer it first before seed. I don't put in the dry bowls until they have had a good munch at the fresh bowls. You may be adding the seed bowl too quickly and therefore he is waiting for it. Are you able to eat your breakfast with him? That makes Kobe my Pionus more interested in his fresh bowl. Have you tried threading bigger pieces of veggies on a birdie kabob/skewer? It makes it a toy as well as food.

Well I've been putting the veg first thing in the morning between 8 and 9 and then seed at lunch time. I even swap the sides I put bowls in. One day on the right for veg next on the left. At first he was proper munching.still has red pepper stuck on his beak but I don't seem to see him eat it now.

Always offer it first before seed. I don't put in the dry bowls until they have had a good munch at the fresh bowls. You may be adding the seed bowl too quickly and therefore he is waiting for it. Are you able to eat your breakfast with him? That makes Kobe my Pionus more interested in his fresh bowl. Have you tried threading bigger pieces of veggies on a birdie kabob/skewer? It makes it a toy as well as food.
I will get a skewer and try with that too. My budgie is very picky too .

So Odie is 13 weeks and does eat veg from my hand but not bowl anymore. Any ways to encourage him to eat it from the bowl? Its fine to feed him by hand but I rather he did eat in his cage too like the seed and not just rely on me feeding him by hand.

I am awaiting the skewer to try this way .

Your cockatiel is just a baby and just weaned so you offering food by hand is kind of like his parents feeding him be careful you don't set yourself up in a fight for your little one to be independent later rather than sooner by doing too much hand feeding.
Try doing it this way he gets to try it in your hand and then put it down in front of him don't continue to hold it. Ok this is going to sound right weird ….. you have a nibble of something and let him try and then gently place it in front of him lower your head down as if you peering at it to have a feed and make yummy noises. Play with his food in a bowl and find out what is the absolute tastiest thing in the world that he can't resist and do it with that.
I had to teach an older bird (Henni) about eating fresh fruit and veggies again she wouldn't touch them unless I held it and then I migrated her into having food at the same time as me … what was on my plate was on her plate …. yes I resorted to plates and a place for her at the table!! Sometimes you just have to think outside the box and try whatever you can to get them to have a go :risas3: and yes that is a cup of juice Henni has! This picture was taken a long time ago of us eating out in the garden that's her half of the patio table lol. But for her it eventually worked and after that she was ramraiding the fruit bowl and generally grabbing anything and everything she could get her beak on!

IMG_0467.JPG
13-12-15 Pear.JPG
I also had to wean Junior a baby tiel who I hand reared from the day she hatched which for me was a whole new ball game too! I did that by pretending to eat the seed and then sharing and putting my fingers in a tiny seed dish how on earth she learned to hull the seed is beyond me must have been instinctive is all I can think thank heavens!
Was so proud of Junior learning I just about burst in to tears :)
DSC00080.JPG
@sunnyring is a breeder and keeps tiels and rears them and very a very knowledgeable lady hopefully she will pop on and give you some tips :)
My methods can be a tad unorthodox at times as most of my birds are not exactly what can be termed hmmm errr totally normal (rather like me lol) but we get where we're going and that's what counts adapting things to the bird if needed :)

Back
Top Bottom