1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Cockatiel Advice

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jesse1071, May 13, 2018.

1. Jesse1071

Jesse1071 Registered

Hi all, my little buddy (Cisco) is fully tame and trained now and is lovely but me and my girlfriend think he may be lonely. We have an offer to purchase a hand reared 3 month old cockatiel from a breeder for a good price and are really considering it. Both of us are going on holiday in mid june for about a month so we think Cisco would like company. Obviously we will have someone come in and top up food and water every day so thats not a problem. This other cockatiel is a male like cisco and we were wondering if they get along well for the next two months, could they perhaps live together in the same cage? Cisco's cage is about 1 meter high, 1 meter long and about 90inches wide so i think its big enough as he is dwarfed by it. Would leaving these two in the same cage for a month be ok even if they get along or should i just get another cage?
    - Jesse

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome, I just love tiels and have 15 living with me. One thing I love about the tiels is they are good with other tiels around them. I would think that apart from keeping the new tiel in isolation and having it checked for chlamydia that can be common in tiels I would think that they will get on very well. I will think that it would be good to introduce them in the one cage once tests have come back.

3. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

I have two cockatiels living together and they are inseperable they dont squabble or anything both just love cuddles

Attached Files:

dianaT and Michael Reynolds like this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

As Michael says, you need to ensure the birds are disease free.
    Cocktails do get on well, but I would be concerned about leaving a relatively new together pair of birds when they are going to be alone for a co siderable amount of the day, with only someone popping in to feed them. What if they do have a falling out? Please ensure your bird career is aware of potential issues such as what not to feed them, no cigarettes, air fresheners, etc. And that they know which Vet to call on in case of an emergency.

5. marley

marley Regular Member

As above and also bear in mind that especially the baby who will not have much time to bond with you before being left may well revert and not be tame when you come back, adding another bird can also change the temperament of the older bird.

TomsMum likes this.