New bird

Need help please and thank you

• Helpppp

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Stupid me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Loulouuk

BD993F20-FF11-4B36-B690-67F627024E0F.jpegBD993F20-FF11-4B36-B690-67F627024E0F.jpegBD993F20-FF11-4B36-B690-67F627024E0F.jpegH
Hi please can any one advice thank I’ve bought a bird Lou Lou
I silly went to look at her and found her stuck in a cage in a cold dirty garage no food no water . Disgusting cage . Not had her long but she’s not talk or anything I’ve been giving her fruit vegetables vitamins ect just got her stick training . I’ve been use to grey’s in the past. Omg what was I thinking 🤔 buying this bird don’t get me wrong she’s beautiful. But not talking or whistling 😗 !
She was sneezing a lot but it’s not a much now can anyone help .. (( I know stupidity me )) thank you

:welcome: First off well done you for getting Lou Lou that poor bird what a terrible life it must have had. Therefore it's no surprise she is quiet . She will take quite a while to get used to having a lovely home, good food and love. Probably doesn't trust humans and who can blame her.
Toos are my absolute favourites although I do not have one now.
I expect in time she will begin to find her voice (and they can be very loud indeed). Don't forget to give her some calcivet.
Is she used to toys?
Also a hand held spray with warm water in for a nice shower, that should eventually help her feathers, as you probably know best to do that in the morning so she's all day to dry before bedtime.
Do keep us up to date and again well done.:thumbsup:

Welcome hun! No not stupid at all. It took my G2 at least a year to really settle with me and she came from a fairly good home. They wear their past for a long time, be patient. Please find a avian vet and have her checked over. Mention the sneezing. Concentrate on the veggies and then a little fruit and take care with the suuplements as too much is as bad as not enough. If she is female she may not talk, my G2 doesn't or my Rose Breasted. Talking is more common in boys. Where abouts are you located hun, are you in UK?

Hello and welcome, I looked after a umbrella Too called Lou Lou she was a beautiful bird. and very chatty and friendly. so why could your Too be so quiet, the first thing to rule out is a infection so I will recommend a visit to your local avian vet. they may decide to put her on medication to rule out any infection. She is still settling in and may not fill to comfortable at the moment, fill her with good experiences and make her fill safe and loved. Give her time and most of all be patient. these birds should be bathed three times a week I would normally use water at room temperature. this will help her feather condition and control the dust these bird can produce. sit down next to her and read a book out loud mentioning her name and giving her a glance every so often . ok Diet wise try to keep to her usual diet plus throw in a little extra of the good stuff. over a period of a few mons you should slowly decrease her current feed and replace it with a better quality low or no sun flower mixture and the goal should be giving more fresh veg than fruit with only about 40 per cent dry mix. cutting down to 30 percent if and when she becomes more active you can increase the dry mix back up. please keep us informed on her progress. Being female I would also sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder over her feed twice a week and I do not give extra vitamins with out your vets advice.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply’s do all toos talk ? 😊 I was told she’s 3 years old but not sure. I did use a water spray bottle rooM tem . She’s sooo quiet 🤫 but think because she’s been left I guess x

When I read a book to settle a bird in I use a game my sister used to play with me and my brothers, chose a common word like The or A and each time you come across it replace it with her name, it makes the reading fun at times you can even chose two words to change one for her name and one for fun like bottom or Fart, She will see you happy and that goes a long way in bonding

Even if she dose not talk she should call out and that is not quiet. She may of been ignored and think what's the good of calling, its up to you to encourage her as she gets more settled.

Hi, poss best take her age with a pinch of salt unless you can be sure? My said two year old was 12! It really doesnt matter though. Just hate being lied to.
If you are in UK and let us know we can prob help with vets etc? My G2 Lou was very quiet for some time when I adopted her. Do the sensible thing and have her checked by an AV please? This would rule out illness as a cause for her being quiet hun.

Thank you very much for your replys
What cage do you guess I need in the new year the cage thanks

:welcome: Lou Lou is gorgeous!!! You are so lovely to rescue her out of that horrible garage. Glad she is indoors in the warmth now. Sounds like you are doing well for her. Most birds are quiet when they come to a new home. My Orange - winged Amazon, Ollie, was silent for 2 weeks (the person who originally rescued him called him a mute statue as he was silent for the whole of the 9 months she had him) and gradually as he gained confidence in his new surroundings he began to grunt and squeak. Now there is no shutting him up! :biggrin:

You might want to think of taking her to an avian vet for a well bird exam and to check that she doesn't have any respiratory problems. Ollie sneezed and sneezed when he first arrived. He had sinus and other respiratory problems. Even now, 9+ years later I have to nebulize him nightly.

:welcome: Lou Lou is gorgeous!!! You are so lovely to rescue her out of that horrible garage. Glad she is indoors in the warmth now. Sounds like you are doing well for her. Most birds are quiet when they come to a new home. My Orange - winged Amazon, Ollie, was silent for 2 weeks (the person who originally rescued him called him a mute statue as he was silent for the whole of the 9 months she had him) and gradually as he gained confidence in his new surroundings he began to grunt and squeak. Now there is no shutting him up! :biggrin:

You might want to think of taking her to an avian vet for a well bird exam and to check that she doesn't have any respiratory problems. Ollie sneezed and sneezed when he first arrived. He had sinus and other respiratory problems. Even now, 9+ years later I have to nebulize him nightly.

Hi thank you for the reply
Just sorted and cleaning out the cage and hand feed fruit to Lou Lou have had her out the cage every day on a sick . She lets you stroke her ut a bit of a trust issue still only been home a week. She’s just started to mutter a little of the evening and the odd one in the morning. She’s gorgeous
I had my dad make table top stands and a large one and ladders but we done do to much as it’s all new . Poor Lou never even been up a ladder or the bottom of her cage until the last 2 days. I’m home every day all day so I spend my time with her x

Attachments

• 41F4B192-9D45-47A7-9593-5DF978522D0A.jpeg
    41F4B192-9D45-47A7-9593-5DF978522D0A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 7B94E65C-A8B4-4B0B-BD14-D38E72348223.jpeg
    7B94E65C-A8B4-4B0B-BD14-D38E72348223.jpeg
    883.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 3AC29F70-69AE-4C08-AB3A-B3A09D911AEC.jpeg
    3AC29F70-69AE-4C08-AB3A-B3A09D911AEC.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 902A2630-722F-4E0B-815B-42F58C01C9C2.jpeg
    902A2630-722F-4E0B-815B-42F58C01C9C2.jpeg
    951.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi I found she likes apple 🍎 🍏 and mango 🥭 green beans not to much and is in seed from pets at home , she’s not really in to bits and dry fruits. And a tiny tiny bit of lamb of the joint.. I know but don’t shout at me. I’ve started her on nutaball vitamins just a pinch2 times a week on her fruit and I spray her with water bottle a little x

Mango is great - rich in beta carotene which will help with respiratory problems. Brightly coloured fruit and veggies are high in beta carotene: sweet potato, carrot, squash, broccoli, kale, peppers, chili, mango, papaya, orange melon, etc. Try to include some of these in her diet.

When I bought her I pay 550 with the cage but the cage is ok for now until the new year I get a new one.. thanks for the help I’ll buy different ones for her and tryouts them. Each week I get different things x

Back
Top Bottom