Christina Payne

Hi all,

So about a month ago we bought a beautiful 4yo indian ringneck hen called jazz.
She was however abused in a previous home, which has led to some negative behaviours, which include screeching / squaking when you go near her or her cage, attempting to bite through the cage ( it's not bluffing she will bite if your fingers are in a position that allow her to reach and bite ) and when we don't move our hands away when she attempts to bite she then flys as far away from us as she can get in the cage and squawks at us again.

She hasnt had much human interaction from what I understand at previous homes and the people we bought her off we later discovered only had her for 5 days.

She has plenty of toys to keep her busy, a few treats, several perches which includes one that has the sanding down surface, she is let out of the cage daily, she flys around the room about 4 times and then will go back into the cage.

Progress seems to have completely stopped with her, she won't take treats from hand, so if we try and offer anything it has to be put into the cage before she will investigate it and will then eat it.

She fortunately doesn't self harm but does sometimes get angry at herself in her mirrors.

What I'm asking basically is what else we could be doing to help her and to make her more friendly and less frightened/angry/aggressive?

We love her and want to give her the forever home she deserves, we know it will take time and patience and we have plenty of that but we are just unsure as to what else we can do.

We do sit and talk to her, her cage is at eye level so she won't feel threatened and she gets a healthy mix of fruit and veg along with the monkey nut and seed mix she has daily in her cage.

Thanks in advance

Chrissy and Barry

View media item 507

Welcome to the forum! What a gorgeous bird
First of all the seed mix... Is it pets at home parrot mix? You shouldn't really feed monkey nuts as they grow in the ground and can grow mould
Try and find another nut she likes, I know my Archie loves walnuts, you don't want to be feeding too many, and not too many sunflower seeds either which I know there can be loads in these parrot mixes.

I'm sure people will be along to advise on taming her, you need to gain her trust and a month isn't long at all to do that, it may take months or years before she is comfortable with you, she's still just settling in

You want to completely avoid being bitten, do not make it habit, if going too close to her cage makes her come to the bars to bite you then stay a distance away that she is comfortable with, you can edge closer over the next few weeks if she's happy to allow you closer without her getting ready to bite
Sit and chat to her but try not to stare at her too much, she may see you as a predator

I suppose it's just going to take time
More members will be online tomorrow.

Also... What is her favourite food? for my Caique it is walnuts and sunflower seeds since he doesn't get these in his mix I use them as treats

If you know which food she really likes, you can take it from her seed mix or fruits and veggies, and you can use it as a treat, so she can see you putting her favourite food through the bars, eventually she may take it from your fingers

Christina Payne

The seed mix and monkey nuts came with her so I am unsure exactly where it is from, we were given it in a tub with her .

We've tried her with different nuts including walnuts, she wasn't overly interested in them.

We've not been bitten since the day we collected her fortunately as we don't put our fingers where she could bite us, even though she still tries, if we stand quietly by her cage and don't do anything at all she will just stay where she is, as soon as we do anything ( change food / water etc ) is when she will go to the back of the cage and display the behaviour.

I made sure not to look her in the eyes as am aware that is a threatening sign to her.

Yeah we know it will take time, we just want to make sure we are doing everything we can for her and to make her comfortable. She frequently sits and preens, naps, shows content behaviour, she will bath herself as she doesn't like spray bottles / being sprayed.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christina Payne

She likes apples and broccoli, when we pop it through onto a clamp she will stare at us doing it and move away, squawk at us sometimes, as soon as we have moved away she will rush over and begin to eat it :) x

Sounds like your doing everything right, just a waiting game, hopefully she'll come around and start to trust you
Even my cuddly little monster has moments of trying to bite my finger through the bars, I tend to cover my arms when I change seed and water bowls to avoid being bitten

Michael Reynolds

Hi I did give advice in the other post when you mentioned your bird but now I can see how you bird is with you and your situation . first of all I am pleased that her cage is her safe place and I never like to entre it unless for cleaning with the bird being out until it has learnt to take food from your hand . now the position of the cage is important in helping her gain trust. I like to move the cage from daytime to evening . during the day in the most active place in the home and in the evening place it next to were you sit. the first goal is to get your bird to take food from you (by the way female ringnecks do take a little longer to gain trust than male birds) Please search for old posts of mine on Beryl a wild ringneck I took in and became my friend and the most trusted bird you can ever meet. can I ask you what area you live in if its not too far I will also like to help by a bit of personal training for the bird. I work with many parrots but the ringnecks are one special bird that need to be regular trained to get them to be forever friendly as they can with neglect become wild birds again. I work with them on a three month basis (I will explain what I mean by that later but basically it can take up to three months for the bird to get by each stage but it also takes the same amount of time for them to revert to wild ways) I hope you enjoy reading the adventures I had with my Beryl 026.JPG

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: I am so pleased you have given the beautiful IRN a good loving, it sounds like she has already been passed around like so many, there are folk who give up after a few days and the bird is sold on, which I find very sad indeed.

However, you are persevering with dear Jazz, giving her lots of love, attention, good foods and most of all patience. Maybe she's got as far as she wants to at the moment and will surprise you in her own time.
Do have a look under our Behaviour & Training thread you may find some helpful advice there as many folk often need a helping hand. There are section where folk have asked about squawking and biting. And @Roz may be able to add a little more .

You may like to change her perches to natural ones like apple or hazel (give a good scrub first) of varying sizes, they are better for the feet and she can chew them too.

Do keep us up to date .:thumbsup:

Christina Payne

Hi I did give advice in the other post when you mentioned your bird but now I can see how you bird is with you and your situation . first of all I am pleased that her cage is her safe place and I never like to entre it unless for cleaning with the bird being out until it has learnt to take food from your hand . now the position of the cage is important in helping her gain trust. I like to move the cage from daytime to evening . during the day in the most active place in the home and in the evening place it next to were you sit. the first goal is to get your bird to take food from you (by the way female ringnecks do take a little longer to gain trust than male birds) Please search for old posts of mine on Beryl a wild ringneck I took in and became my friend and the most trusted bird you can ever meet. can I ask you what area you live in if its not too far I will also like to help by a bit of personal training for the bird. I work with many parrots but the ringnecks are one special bird that need to be regular trained to get them to be forever friendly as they can with neglect become wild birds again. I work with them on a three month basis (I will explain what I mean by that later but basically it can take up to three months for the bird to get by each stage but it also takes the same amount of time for them to revert to wild ways) I hope you enjoy reading the adventures I had with my Beryl View attachment 23931

Hi there thanks for your message. She is in our lounge with us. My partner is home pretty much 24/7 so she's always around someone :)

I live in Woodville, Derbyshire :)

Christina Payne

:welcome: I am so pleased you have given the beautiful IRN a good loving, it sounds like she has already been passed around like so many, there are folk who give up after a few days and the bird is sold on, which I find very sad indeed.

However, you are persevering with dear Jazz, giving her lots of love, attention, good foods and most of all patience. Maybe she's got as far as she wants to at the moment and will surprise you in her own time.
Do have a look under our Behaviour & Training thread you may find some helpful advice there as many folk often need a helping hand. There are section where folk have asked about squawking and biting. And @Roz may be able to add a little more .

You may like to change her perches to natural ones like apple or hazel (give a good scrub first) of varying sizes, they are better for the feet and she can chew them too.

Do keep us up to date .:thumbsup:

I had a nose through the behaviour training thread last night and found some good helpful advice.

The blue perch she enjoys sitting on is meant to help with filing feet and beak, but I have been looking for some of the natural wood ones :)

I will do thank you :)

Roz

Thanks for the tag, Diana. :)

:welcome: Chrissy and Barry! Jazz is gorgeous! Love the pic where she's eating a strawberry. That's great she's playing, preening and coming out to fly already!

It's perfectly ok she won't take a treat from your hand yet. A month is very little time to be able to gain trust. Do all you can to reinforce calm behaviour. Keep putting the treats in her cage as you have been and she will get to pair you and your hands with good experiences. In the same vein, try to avoid pairing yourselves with bad experiences, ie. doing things that result in a fear response or aggression.

Since approaching her cage cues these unwanted behaviours, try using negative reinforcement to do so: for each step forward you reward her relaxed body language by taking half a step back and so on until you reach her cage. That was how I always approached Ollie my then untame Orange-winged Amazon. It is explained in more detail here:

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/reinforcers-and-parrots-who-are-fearful-of-humans.29148/

She likes apples and broccoli, when we pop it through onto a clamp she will stare at us doing it and move away, squawk at us sometimes, as soon as we have moved away she will rush over and begin to eat it :) x
Sounds like you can work with apples and broccoli! :D Keep clamping them in a few times a day. Your hands = yummy things! Maybe you could try moving not quite so far away sometimes, but always far enough so she's relaxed enough to eat. And maybe later you could gradually take a little longer to clamp the items in, but only if she's showing relaxed body language, in the hope that she becomes more used to your hands. Experiment, but be sure to watch that body language and aim to keep it calm and relaxed with whatever you do.

Christina Payne

So today we had jazz out her cage for pretty much all of today. I got a little bit closer today without her giving me so much attitude. I did also get a lovely photo of her. :)

Jeanette

Hi Chrissy Jazz is gorgeous :biggrin: it was hard to tell from the pic you posted but can I just ask how big her cage is ? Regards Jeanette

Top Bottom