1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Taming Cockatiel!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Training' started by Mariam, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Mariam

Mariam Registered

Hello, my name is mariam and in 35 (I accidentally put 16 on my profile)
    I have 2, 1 year old cockatiels. One is called Rio and the other one is kiwi. I have had them for 2 months and I still have never touched them or held them on my finger. Every time I try to touch Rio he bites me or hissed at me. Kiwi just runs away or flapped his wings, he is more calm than Rio and is not aggressive. As their cage is larg they can run away or hide. When my hand is 10 cm away from them it's fine but when I get closer they get scared and frantically flap their wings. I do not want to make them scared or stressed to I try to keep my distance. 3 weeks ago, I held a peice of lettus in my hand and they started eating it and I have been doing that ever cince but they are still very scared of my hands. Other people say their parrots learn to step up the day they got them
    but it's not the same case with me. Also, Rio is very aggressive towards other parrots and humans. Why is this? If there is any way or taming them please tell because I don't know what to do anymore!
    Thank you
    Mariam

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Mariam and :welcome: to the forum.
    We're a friendly bunch here and happy to help.

In our training thread you'll find two pinned topics on Step up by Roz our forum endorsed trainer....there are some good tips in there and I will also tag in @Roz and a some of our cockatiel experienced members @CaptainHowdy @sunnyring @Stinkie .

You might like to take a look at Clicker training, as that will get them used to following you and your hands and gain their trust through reinforcement with treats.

Roz likes this.
  3. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Oh yes, definitely a Stinkie one here, first hand experience of a marvellous cockatiel.

Roz and TomsMum like this.
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: from me and my flock.
    Good advice given. can we have photos of your lovely birdies please :thumbsup:

5. Mariam

Mariam Registered

Thank you so much for the advice

6. Mariam

Mariam Registered

image.jpg
    image.jpg The grey and white one is kiwi and the one with the red cheeks is kiwi
    @dianaT

kay, dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  7. Mariam

Mariam Registered

Sorry I meant the white and grey one is Rio @dianaT

8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aww they are beautiful xx

9. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

10. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

:welcome:Mariam! Rio and Kiwi are beautiful birds. How long have you had them? Looks like you are on the right track with the lettuce. Keep feeding them things from your hands. If they like the food you are offering, you are pairing yourself and your hands with good experiences. They will begin to look forward to you being around them and they will begin to trust you. It takes time especially with birds that maybe haven't been handled before. Where did your birds come from? Would love to know their stories. :)

Rio bites or hisses when you go touch him and Kiwi runs away. Take heed of this body language and don't force it or else you will be pairing yourself with something bad which will undermine all the good work. What you want to achieve with each bird as much as possible is relaxed body language when you are near them. And you are achieving this through offering them food. Take things slowly.

A suggestion - if right now you are offering a whole leaf of lettuce, gradually reduce the size of the leaf so they get progressively closer to your hand. This might take weeks... just make sure their body language is relaxed. If they fail to come to you at any point because the piece is too small, go bigger again and get them used to that, then gradually reduce at an even slower rate.

Because birds like to be high up so it's easy to escape danger, when cleaning out the cage you might want to crouch down so you are lower than them... ie not towering above them. This is what I used to do with my untame Orange-wing Amazon, Ollie. He too was untouchable and afraid of humans when he first arrived. It took 6 months of work to be able to stroke his head.

It doesn't matter that some birds will step up right from the beginning. These birds are used to hands and used to humans. Rio and Kiwi are going to be all the more special because you will have had to work harder with them.

Kendra and dianaT like this.
  11. Mariam

Mariam Registered

Thank you for the advice! I will follow it the best I can:) . I had my parrots for 2 months already and I got them from a pet shop :budgie:. @Roz

Roz likes this.
  12. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

Two months is no time at all. :) It sounds unlikely they were handled in the pet shop. Just go very slow with them.