Nares

Jeanette

Hi all
We have a 5yr old male IRN who has an enlarged heart, kidney and Pancreas. We have had Pinky for 2yrs now and after 10days of having him we discovered he had Psittacosis and the health conditions mentioned above. Pinky was successfully treated however we have noticed today that he has a nare that is much smaller than the other side. It doesn't look blocked, no discharge and no breathing issues. I will try to get a close up pic. We were wondering whether this is common or an indication of a health issue. Any advice would be welcome.

Does he enjoy a spray/shower...I've noticed that sometimes the nares can change according to the humidity, and the air moisture is drier the usual at the. One thing, as we have had so little rain.

Hi TomsMum
Pinky will bath most days but doesn't like a shower/spray so I will c if a can buy something that reads humidity levels and if that is an issue see what would be best to resolve it. Thank you for your response.

this can be an indication of the health issues he has had and that he presently has that you have mentioned just keep an eye on it and i am sure your bird will be fine but any changes in his ways then contact the vet.

Hi all
I thought I would update you with Pinky. Whilst there were no changes to how Pinky was presenting we did make a routine appt to see the vet and we have been today. I'm so glad we went despite being very sad at the news. The vet thought it was Rhino so recommended that Pinky was anaesthetised to enable a closer look clear out and swob. It wasn't rhino but the vet has found a large growth so a biopsy has been taken and now we just need to wait. The vet said Pinky won't be in any pain as his breathing hasn't changed as such it doesn't appear to be impacting on respiratory system. Once biopsy is back we will know more :emoji_cry:

Oh dear, well thank you for the update. It is good you did take Pinky to the vet though, will the vet be able to remove the growth, did he say?
Fingers crossed it isn't anything sinister. When will you get the results. xx

Hi Diana
The vet said it all depends what type of growth it is, if it turns out to be cancer they will not be recommending survey due to the position of the growth but other treatments may be available we have to wait and see. If no treatments are available they will discuss options. Fingers crossed it isn't anything serious and we can treat Pinky as he has been through the wars since we have had him, bless him.

What sad news Jeanette well I hope its not the dreaded c I have never known a ring neck to have cancer with any of my friends that keep these wonderful birds. My fingers are crossed that Pinky will be ok what a worry for you.

The vet called today and it wasn't good news Pinky has cancer - Chondrosarcoma it isn't well documented in parrots usually seen in cats and dogs. The vet said that it can spread but at what rate he doesn't know due to it being so rare, treatment options are limited due to where it is situated, vet has recommended palliative care only at present

I'm so sorry Jeanette :(
I know Pinky will have the best care possible, but that's awful news for you and the poor lad after he's already been through so much in his life. xxx

@Jeanette I am so very sorry to hear this dreadful news about Pinky, I know you love him dearly and hope that he can continue for a while pain free, poor boy, he really has been unlucky health wise, bless.

20170308_192333-01.jpeg Everyone's kind words are appreciated and Pinky will definitely be looked after for as long as it is in his interests to do so and who knows that may be for sometime given that the rate at which this type of cancer progresses in parrots is unknown.

Attachments

• 20170308_192333-01.jpeg
    20170308_192333-01.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom