Nannies Senegal!

Lee T

Tigger
d5cde91d-3ee9-84b8.jpg
d5cde91d-3f18-48ea.jpg
Hi all, just doing the family rounds at Jacks nan's now. she has a Senegal called Nelson, lovely boy about 6 years old. look at these pics for a couple years his feathers are not growing properly. he does not pluck them, vet has done all blood tests, feather samples etc etc cant find anything. any suggestions? im not sure about his diet, ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check out my website on

www.casperthegrey.weebly.com

awww he looks cute..love his name Nelson..

shame with his feathers but if vet done all tests..... no idea but main thing is he is healthy apart from his feathers and happy xxx

That looks dangerous, his head through there, is there normally a dish there Lee?

Hope you don't mind me saying Lee, but his housing looks atrocious, very small no sign of toys, no wonder the poor fella is not at his best..

Hey Bob, yes understand what you mean on how the pic looks. He does have a load of toys which you can't see in the picture, and the cage is actually bigger than it looks. very tall cage he has swings and ropes etc in there. He does spend most of the day out as "Nannie" is almost 80 and home most the time. I think she prob does not clean the cage out as much as she could, but I would not call it atrocious or unhygienic.

There is usually a feeding cup there, just took it out so he could poke his head through and rub it to get a good pic of his feathers. I did make sure there were no sharp bits or danger of his head being stuck. By being with him you can tell he is a happy little chappy and very sociable and friendly.

She feeds him a "parrot" mix not sure what is is called but is pretty expensive... but to me it looks like rabbit food?!?! (but it is not). Also some fruit & veg. I am going to buy some Tidymix food

The only thing really I can think of is he is quite near a radiator and whether the air is too dry?

I can't quite tell from the picture but could he be snipping at his feathers rather than plucking them? I've just had a look at Elvis and he is fluffy like that and the wings look very much the same on his back?

I would have thought the radiator would try his skin out which in turn would make him itch and he may be over preening his feathers.

Just a thought but I'm not really sure xx

Thanks Ann-Marie , I think it is a combination of the radiator (as the elderly always have their house at near boiling point ha ha) and maybe the parrot mix being fed?

She is a lovely lady , but very errrr, strong willed I'll call it that :rofl: will have to approach the subject delicately with her... She has had him to the vets who have checked him, blood tests, weight etc etc but they say he is perfectly healthy. I am meant to be looking after him in June for a few weeks.

Any ideas then Ann-M as suggestions to help?

My vet advised me to use glycerine and rosewater and I have to sat I think it's made a real difference to Elvis. So that might be worth a try especially with the heating xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yeah i would say spray him several times a day with the rosewater and glycerine or AVIX soother spray :)

Thank you will suggest this.... where is the best place to get this from? x

I would say try and order online as the rosewater is really hard to find. It has to be 100% pure for both bottles. The glycerine can be found in a chemist - but again must be 100% pure. Its really good for spraying Casper with too. I was suprised what a difference it made. I've put my original post below: -

Glycerine & Rosewater

hope you not mad at me Lee when i said i agreed with bob but on the pic it really looks a bit "strange" lol xxx

just a bowl of water beside the radiator or on window sill ( where radiators usually are below) should make a difference already

cheers Ann-Marie & Kerstin, will definately suggest that !!

No of course I am not Kerstin :wink: i would have said exactly the same seeing that picture.. I should have mentioned about it when I posted it lol xx

Back
Top Bottom