Nail Triming Advice

happyfrown

hi
im new here so have a few post potted around, looking for advice on cutting black nails.
I do my friends budgies where I can see the blood line which is pretty easy, I tried to do my caiques nails but cant see a safe stopping point. also tried filling and failed due to a fidgety bird!

so tips on safely trimming dark nails please.

Welcome to the forum

I have no problem with nail trimming, dark or light. I give everyone a Sandwalk perch and it does it for me :)

Someone will be along who can give you some actual advice later.

I always thought the sand perches were bad for feet, I read conflicting advice over it though like most things :)

Good point, but the Sandwalk perches are different, besides costing the earth, they are moulded into a sort of branch shape and feel like fine soft sand, the birdies have options on where they sit so if they found them uncomfortable they could use others. George Porgie (Panama amazon they say but I have my doubts) seldom uses his but now my arms are free from nail holes and red dots, it was painful when he walked up and down.

main thing is if you do trim them yourself do it when vets are open in case you get it wrong. not funny if do it on a Sunday night then have a bleed.

I would have thought its unusual for a young birds nails to be clipped. Has he/she got natural perches i.e. hazel, apple etc. of various sizes, they help to exercise the feet/legs and keep nails trim as well as giving the beak something to chew.

I have tried to look at the one from Pets at Home but am forbidden, it's that silly robot thing they have. I have tried many others though and wasted so much money in the process, but as I have 8 birds and a very long way to an avian vet I had to have something. The only problem I have found with Sandwalk is that some birds, ie cockatiel and Conure nibble at the covering.

I buy mine from Avipets as TomsMum showed, but Scarletts are cheaper, if you do not live in mid Scotland.

Gosh Stinkie they are nearly as dear as the Sandwalk, you would love one as you can nibble at it whilst you rest, Corkie does.

Gosh Stinkie they are nearly as dear as the Sandwalk, you would love one as you can nibble at it whilst you rest, Corkie does.
Stinkie has one of those seashell ones a d takes a few bites every time he eats, but never stands on it! I always have to clip his nails.

The seashell ones are totally different, I need to take a photo but with the internet so bad I doubt it would be any use, show Stinkie the white patches where Corkey has bitten the covering off, strange thing though Corkey is not a chewer, except for the expensive perch, suppose it shows she has class.

The seashell ones are totally different, I need to take a photo but with the internet so bad I doubt it would be any use, show Stinkie the white patches where Corkey has bitten the covering off, strange thing though Corkey is not a chewer, except for the expensive perch, suppose it shows she has class.

Stinkie says: Haha, white patches, amateur!

94PLonS.jpg

I think he uses it as a source of grit because he munches on it after eating. I suppose Corkey is doing the same :)

Well, Stinkie certainly likes his perch! The Sandwalk Corkey has is nothing like that. The covering will only be about 1mm and underneath it is hollow white plastic, they are very light. Sounds like cheap rubbish but they do work and much cheaper than a vet visit.

I have a couple of that type an no-one will go near them, shows Stinkie is no woos like mine.

They are more like the swing you have above, I presume it is a swing ?

It is a very fun T shaped swing with a bell and some dangly chains with plastic die and yes it's also sanded. Alas he only ever - and very rarely - uses it to hop on to the higher perches and his rope atom shaped thingy. Both the T and that train wreck of an edible perch are 4 years old, but one looks brand new and the other one looks, well.. :risas3:

Back
Top Bottom