My Toto Has Laid Two Eggs

Wakizashi21

Hi All,

Been wondering over the last week or two why she has been more aggressive than usual. Shes been nippy and very very protective of the cage which is fine...i suppose she never nips me but can do to the other family members.

I know the eggs are infertile as she has no partner...but is there anything i can do to make her time easy?when is it safe enough to remove the eggs?i dont want her to lay any atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumsmum

Oh that was a surprise I should think. You will need to ensure Toto's diet is tip top especially her calcium levels and vit D. One way is to provide a dish filled with crushed egg shell (from boiled eggs to kill any bacteria) and/or attach a calcium / mineral block to the cage as well as use a full spectrum lamp for vitamin D as sunlight at this time of year is not much or very strong. I think most advise to leave the eggs until she gets fed up with them, if she is still interested but they split or get damaged then you may need to obtain some dummy eggs. I have read that a clutch can be 3-6 eggs and the incubation period is 23 days.

Is this the first time she has done this? Do you feed a lot of warm mushy food as this can be a trigger to want to breed?

Last edited:

Wakizashi21

Yeah iv given crush egg shells... i try to make a batch and den sprinkle over the veggies and seeds...she doesnt like the mineral block and never tries it. Shes not a huge explorer as she doesnt really try too many new toys either. So is it better to leave the eggs inside until shes bored?i knew she gave eggs before for the previous owner...but still a cute sight no doubt. Spending more time with her anyway to keep her mind off things.

plumsmum

The mineral block if it contains calcium is best left available, they know when they need it, don't need it, don't use it. You can offer a little cheese some say hard cheese is OK and some say no, never :thinking:. My AV said low fat cottage cheese is OK though. She probably will not want to go too far from her precious 'babies' at the moment.

dianaT

Staff member
She is protecting her eggs I would think that is why there is a change in behaviour. Many people leave the eggs there and the bird usually eventually gets fed up, or, you can take one away every so often. You can buy dummy eggs to replace them if you wan.t

Wakizashi21

As log as shes comfortable im happy...was sitting next to her and shes totally singing back to me and wanting head scratches. Hopefully she would feel better. It was kinda cute watching her put the eggs back under her....

TomsMum

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The cheese thing is to do with the lactose content ...because parrots are lactose intolent.

Naturally aged hard cheeses, like Cheddar, have a low lactose content as most of the lactose gets separated in the process and is in the whey.

Wakizashi21

Yeah i sort of never feed cheese anyway but its still good to know as to why they cant have that. Well Toto has chewed around where she normally sleeps as thats where she has laid eggs. I didnt provide a neat box so she just laid within her bedbox. Its just about clinging onto the cage...and previous owner who i adopted from...said its her favourite place. Would be gutted for her if i cant sort of find a replacement for it...i presume shes used to it for several years.

Wakizashi21

I will do definitely. Just upstairs with the little ones. Will do so within the hour. Slightly confused as what i can use as replacement for her sleeping box...going to be abit of a challenge to be fair. I may email or txt the previous owner to see if she maybe knows.

plumsmum

@Wakizashi21 Toto is beautiful, looks a very healthy girl. Sorry I have got a bit confuzzed and was thinking you have a Ringneck as per your avatar :thinking:. Toto is a Hahns isn't she?

Wakizashi21

Haha i do have a indian Ringneck. The pair. But last year i also adopted a Hahns Macaw. I believed i was ready to move up a step from slightly smaller parrots and decided Hahns fits perfectly. She came as a 12yr old girl who only had sunflower seeds and but has alot of vocab such as Hello baby, see you later, whatchaaa doing... and all sorts...but have to take her regularly to have her beak and nails trimmed as her diet wasnt the best. Iv slowly moved her over to fruits so shes atleast having some...but sunflowr seeds iv cut down to nearly nothing. I use scarlets mix of seeds without sunflowr and veggies daily.

Was told she didnt like men...however thats all she liked in this house lol she only gets along with me...and lets me cuddle her..but i suppose she is a big bird and very intelligent too...so can make her own decisions haha

plumsmum

Toto has found a fantastic loving home, lucky girl. Do you take her to the Avian Vet for her nails etc and for check ups?

Wakizashi21

Yeah there is one in Birmingham that i go to...took her around 6 months ago. I do try twice a year if not definitely the yearly check up.

There doesnt seem to be many breeders around for Hahns...think majority of people tend to like African Greys, B and G, and Amazons. Hahns are adorable! Lovely personalities.

plumsmum

Yes I have read good things of Hahns. Re the nails and beak thing, needs doing reguarly. I had this with Plum, his nails every six/eight weeks, were like pins, was scratching me through my clothes! It is a sign of FLD which Plum has ('toos are prone to it) but as he has got better the frequency of needing them done has lessened. He has them done about 6/8 months now. I did not realise in the beginning the two things were associated :-(

Do you think you could hold off on giving her a new bed until this hormonal episode has passed, could be a invitation to lay more eggs? Curious, has Toto always laid eggs at this time of year? What do you think?

Wakizashi21

Oh wow... with toto its more the beak... the Nails are okay...don’t scratch me much... but the beak tends to grow quick. Which i try to get done when i think its gone long...but good thing she also keeps herself in good shape. Shes hardly ever in her cage but at her age i don’t expect her to be a energy full up and down Hahns. Shes abit more relaxed and prefers to just sit and watch from my shoulder.

You learn new things everday!

Wakizashi21

Not so sure about laying eggs this time of the year...iv had her jus about a year...but not sure when the breeding season is for the Hahns. I want to keep the original..but as shes chewing the sides where its hanging from...it will eventually clip off and be unattachable to the cage again...as shes totalyl chewed it to bits lol i dont mind...but not sure where i can get a replacement

plumsmum

Put a pic up someone may know/seen one somewhere LOL.

A very rich diet is also a precursor to laying, makes sense doesn't it our native wild species reproduce to coincide with plentiful food. You could have a look see if she is heavy on one particular part of her diet ie protein, carbs etc.

Top Bottom