My little hobby

Scott199

So thought id join in, even though i have no where near the skills of the others here.

So a few months back i decided to teach myself to TIG weld stainless steel and aluminium.
to be honest, i don't really have anything to show as the "art" is technically in the art of doing it, for anyone that’s tried they know what a pain stainless and ally are to work with.

So here’s my little workshop, the plan is or was to make a cage from stainless.

and some random things I’ve made from stainless so far.
95ECAC8D-C106-488D-B8A5-677DB65969D1.jpegECEDD950-4ADB-425D-B132-803166002420.jpeg

Tonifrax

Not given welding a go yet, my dads got all the equipment. Friend of mine wanted to make their own meat smoker for their restaurant but I quite fancy giving it a go too. Like the little birdy thing. Its pretty cool!

Scott199

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have to admit after 18 years of welding up crappy cars and lorries I don’t enjoy welding any more but still have the kit that comes in useful. @Scott199 im well jealous of your welding bench, lovely table that. You have made a couple of cool bits there keep going bud. You will want a lathe next

Scott199

I have to admit after 18 years of welding up crappy cars and lorries I don’t enjoy welding any more but still have the kit that comes in useful. @Scott199 im well jealous of your welding bench, lovely table that. You have made a couple of cool bits there keep going bud. You will want a lathe next
Cheers, its certainly frustration, not sure i could ever do it as a job or even as a part of a job, but for fun and when you feel like it its super rewarding to see the colours and such perfect.

im quite lucky as the firm i work for moves machinery, so time to time we come across stuff, we do have a colchester lathe and a bridgeport mill here but we/i have zero idea how to use it, if i spent some time i could probably manage to turn it on.

i've always envied people that can use lathes and mills, maybe one day i'll learn.

for me, making the little tools/press/folder things to make little bits to weld is part of the fun.

dianaT

Staff member
What a great workshop and I do love the birdie thingy.
Hubby had an old Colchester lathe (came from a school) many moons ago and only place to store it was in his late dads shed, but there it stayed as when we moved we couldn't shift it. It's probably long since gone.

Scott199

What a great workshop and I do love the birdie thingy.
Hubby had an old Colchester lathe (came from a school) many moons ago and only place to store it was in his late dads shed, but there it stayed as when we moved we couldn't shift it. It's probably long since gone.
Funny the little "thing" has a story.
me and the wife both decided we wouldn't buy each other for Christmas, so i thought id try to make something, (i don't do arty, delicate things)

so this is all out of scrap plate and nuts/bolts, one thing i didn't realise is stainless is really hard, hard to cut, hard to drill, really, really hard to bend, broke endless hammers, 2 jacks, loads of wood, bent my bench trying to press the little round "belly" bit, prob made 10 till one worked, i think it took me best part of 4 days to make.

Christmas eve, i looked at it, went to curry's and bought her an iPhone :risas3:
So this little "thing" and all my blood, sweat and tears is chucked a a draw.

Scott199

this my current little thing, its "hopefully" going to be a box and pan folder, ive tested 2mm SS on it and seems to work fine, im just trying to make it adjustable now, but thats proving to be a challenge.IMG_5509.jpeg

Top Bottom