1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Golden Mantle Rosella

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Brooksey101, May 9, 2019.

1. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

Hello!
    A week ago I bought a beautiful 9 month old golden mantle Rosella, Prince. He chirps, plays in his cage,grooms himself often, and eats well, he seems happy, but when I come near the cage he turns his back to me and stays still... I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on making him less nervous or what I can do to make him feel more safe?
    thanks x

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

TomsMum likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and Welcome, I love these beautiful birds but they are not ones that like being touched, they do not even get that close with there partners like most other parrots, I used to free fly my Peter but I could only do this because he had a partner that he would not leave for too long. I was able to call and recall train him and he would come back to my hand and take food from me. Ok Peter had the freedom of my home as these birds need the space to fly and to be honest they are more suitable in an aviary. Being one of the most colourful members of the parrot world they are often sold to people whom do not understand there ways. you will need a lot of patients to gain there trust even to a point of them landing on you or taking food when out side there cage. they love chewing at books and magazines so make sure you put them away from your bird, love to see a Photo plus what is his name.

5. TomsMum

If you search the forum for our member Scarf, you’ll find posts about her very characterful Rosella called Garp. We all miss hearing about her, as she has flown to Rainbow Bridge. She was a great fan of book chewing!

6. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

His name is Prince, solely because he acts like one. I've actually made a lot of progress with him today, he is starting to feed off my hand which is going good!

Attached Files:

7. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

He does have a lot of freedom as I keep the cage open a lot, it helps that I live alone so he can fly anywhere apart from the kitchen

8. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hi and :welcome:, Prince is very Charming :)
    I can see why you called him Prince, such a sweet little face too.
    Well done with the progress.
    @RoyJess had a GMR too years ago.

Brooksey101 likes this.
  9. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

Thanks! x

10. TomsMum

He’s gorgeous.

11. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Yes indeed I had a GMR many years ago. Lovely birds, very pretty in colours. I always associate these more of an aviary bird as a house bird.

12. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

Me too but I have read a lot about people keeping them in cages big enough and he pretty much has my house to fly around

Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  13. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

When I refer birds to as an aviary bird, I usually mean from a taming/training point of view. We have a pair of love birds in our home, again we class these as aviary birds as we don't expect them to ever be tame. Even training and taming them is possible, it is very unlikely/difficult.

14. Brooksey101

Brooksey101 Registered

Aye I see what you mean, but honestly the past few days he's been getting better, taking food from my hand and letting me pet him

15. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Its nice when they are young, but you will most likely find that the petting will be rejected as they grow, this is normal and I can only advice you to continue with training so your bird remains trusting towards you. My Peter was getting old when he flew from my home but I do miss him very much as he was always near me if I sat any were and quit nosy and the best flyer I have ever seen in a parrot, I think he was double jointed and he could hover and fly backwards for shot distances.