1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Bite From A Macaw

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Michael Reynolds, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

The other day I had a few visitors and one was Max, Mo's and Oliver's Dad. I had Bailey on my shoulder as I opened the door to Dean and he is not a small man but he quickly rushed by me and scared the hell out of Bailey. his reaction was straight away and I could tell he felt insecure and he showed me as I went to put him back to his cage that meant I had to pass Dean. Baily grabbed my cheek with his top part of his beak and under my chin with the bottom part. it caused a little blood to flow but I noticed more the pressure of his beak as he grabbed on. I cannot blame Bailey even I was surprised on how quick Dean entered. Bailey is so gentle but he would not settle until Dean had left. He was a changed bird but back to being loving and gentle as soon as he left. Now I can say that I would rather be bit by a Macaw than and Amazon, grey or Too as believe me there bites are so much worse. its now the ninth bite I have ever received from a flock member in all the time I have had birds all though I have taken on birds that are known for there aggressive side. I think I will have to put Baily in his cage on Deans next Visit but also get Dean to try to make up to Bailey by him giving a few treats. I know Dean was so excited about Mo and her eggs but I had to warn him not to move too quickly in my home as this will certainly scare many birds. I do not like putting my flock that are out back in there cage when I have a visitor and especially when to me they have not done anything wrong

plumsmum and dianaT like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow Michael I bet that has left quite a bruised mark where that large beak went in, you were lucky not to have been quite badly bitten.
    I know if Alan is close by and my Amazon Tommy want to get to bite him (he really dislikes hubby) that he may turn and in his frustration bite me instead.

3. Michael Reynolds

To be honest apart from giving me an excuse for not shaving and just a slight bruise it has not affected me too much but amazon bites and too bites are far more painful. Oliver is one of those birds I have to read his body language all the time he can be so gentle one day and then the next all he wants to do is attack. I have been lucky so far as I am quick in my reactions and normally out smart him but he is one of my flock members that I will never allow on my shoulder and have to have him on my arm where I can see him. He Loves Dean but even on that day he was not so good to him.

4. marley

marley Regular Member

Hope your ok, a face bite brings it home more than any how much damage they can do if the situation goes wrong. I have to say I am not one for handling birds and prefer them to interact from a perch but if I do handle them I never have them on my shoulder and think you are either brave or daft to open the door with one on your shoulder as you have no control over the situation. I have a couple of greys who will jump or fly onto me given half a chance and I always lift them straight off and give them a treat back on the perch.

5. Michael Reynolds

I stood behind the door but normally I will open the door slightly and walk back in but as I just undone the door Dean pushed straight in. having a macaw on my arm would not of stopped it from reaching my chin and cheek , Baily loves to rest with his head under my chin. Deans step dad had been here for a few hours before Dean arrived and I had all three Macaws out as I normally do while I am at home.